[OPLINLIST] Small Library ILS

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Sep 19 13:52:29 EDT 2013

Follett's Destiny ILS is a cheap ILS product (web-based, less than $1000
annually for a hosted solution, I think) aimed at school libraries and
smaller public libraries. Like many ILS products, he can either host the
ILS database on his own equipment or he can have the company host it on
their equipment for an increase in annual costs. When you sit down and
crunch the numbers, it's often much more sensible to have the ILS hosted
somewhere else. It takes away a lot of issues that can trip you up in the
future....like equipment maintenance and replacement, worrying about
backing up the data, etc.

There is also Evergreen ILS and Koha ILS, which are free open source
software ILS solutions. If he's a little tech saavy, one of those might be
worth investigating. They're considerably more powerful than Follett's
offering, but free, if he can get them set up and configured
himself...There are also companies that will support and host them for you
as well. Equinox Software (http://www.esilibrary.com) is one I've had some
dealings with and would recommend.

*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*