[OPLINLIST] Flyer, Flyer on the Wall

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jan 22 14:50:10 EST 2014

Do a Google image search for library flyer
<https://www.google.com/search?q=library+flyer&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS503US504&espv=210&es_sm=91&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5fLeUrKkB6fR2wXbrYHYCg&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1238&bih=959>
and you’ll find many specimens of the species. What stands out to me is
that I can’t tell what event many of them are advertising.

One poster’s headline reads, “Tee Time @ the Library.” That’s a
fine-sounding title, and its illustration of golfers is very cute. But
is it a program for golfers? If so, it isn’t for me. (A closer read
suggests they’ve set up an indoor miniature golf course in the library,
which I would definitely want to play.)

A university library flyer devotes its top banner to the phrase, “READ 2
SUCCEED,” but the flyer isn’t about literacy. It’s advertising an author
and book signing, and the write-up for it sounds very interesting. But
the all-caps slogan is not very inviting.

Another’s headline reads, “MEAT FREE MEALS.” It’s not the very wittiest,
but I know what it’s about at a glance. That counts for a lot. Another
page says, “Knit! Stitch! Crochet!” Another, “Artist Networking Mixer,”
while another reads, “Robotics: Teen Initiative Program.” It’s easy to
identify if these programs are for me.

It’s difficult to be this critical of our own work, especially when
we’re trying hard to be creative. Here are a few tips for when you’re
making flyers.

Clear Beats Creative
    “Storytime” may sound overused, but people recognize it immediately!
    Use terms that people in your target audience will understand right
    away.

Use Fewer Elements
    Some flyers are difficult to read because they are too busy. Use
    fewer photos, less clip art, and less text so they can be read quickly.

Raise the Contrast
    The largest text or image gets the most attention. Choose which
    message is most important, and make it the
    largest/brightest/clearest by a wide margin.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

  Level-Up Lab: Publisher

At SWON’s upcoming Publisher Lab, held February 19th, Nathan will
introduce Microsoft Publisher. You’ll learn a few well-hidden features
that make Publisher much faster to use. And after seeing how Publisher
works, you’ll have hands-on practice putting together a flyer and a
one-page newsletter. By paying attention to content as well as page
layout, you’ll take your Publisher skills to the next level.

Register today! http://bit.ly/publisher-lab

  STEM Summer Reading Workshop

Just added to the roster of SWON’s March 4th STEM SRP event
<http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=819> is a
presentation from the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery on Nanoscience.
You’ll also get to explore Newton’s 2nd Law of Motion and hear lots of
STEM programming summaries during the Idea Share.

Click here for more details and to register: http://tiny.cc/srp-stem

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/eventcalendar.aspx> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Public Libraries and the Common Core Curriculum: Overview &
    Resources
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=795>* -
    (1/23/2014) - Online
  * *Outreach (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=760>* -
    (1/24/2014) - Kenton County PL, Covington Branch
  * *How to Hire a Library Tech
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=817>* -
    (1/28/2014) - Online
  * *Best Books of 2013
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=816>* -
    (1/28/2014) - Kenton County PL, Covington Branch
  * *Optimizing Materials Handling on the Cheap: How to Lean Your
    Workflow
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=824>* -
    (1/30/2014) - Online
  * *Developing the Art of Supervising, Part 1
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=818>* -
    (1/30/2014) - Online
  * *2014 Teen Reading Challenge - Launch!
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=821>* -
    (2/1/2014) - Online
  * *Summer Reading Program Webinar: Teens, Part I
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=779>* -
    (2/4/2014) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events