[OPLINLIST] Time for a Read-In

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jun 4 17:18:45 EDT 2014

At home, our toddler is really excited about shapes and colors. This
morning, he wanted to sing “Old MacDonald,” and after we sang verses
about a sheep and a goat and a chicken, he made up a verse about the
color red. /With a red-red here and a red-red there./

He flips through the same books about colors, pushes around the same
alphabet magnets, sings the same songs about shapes almost every day.
It’s cute and sometimes wearing (especially when the singing starts at 6
a.m.), and it’s not easy to see what he’s learning on a daily basis.

But from being in an early literacy workshop
<http://www.earlylit.net/workshops/index.shtml>, I know these different
forms of repetition are really productive play. Reading books is
important, of course, but so are these sensory experiences.
Understanding that that play is valuable helps caregivers bring more
variety to learning play time; that’s valuable for adults as well as kids.

I’m sure you know this already, but lots of first-time parents don’t.
Having kids brings people back to libraries. Teaching them about early
literacy skills helps them teach their children, and it also helps
establish librarians as important sources of knowledge. Don't forget to
teach the parents, too!

If you’re looking for more activities or books to select for early
literacy programs, I found lots of interesting examples at the Growing
Book by Book <http://growingbookbybook.com> website. Lots of things I
want to try. If it gives the /I’m a circle, I’m a circle/ song some
competition, that’s certainly a plus.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, Technology Educator

    At SWON’s 2014 Picture Book Read-In…

We’ll have hundreds of books for you, and quiet time to page through
them. We’re also bringing in Tricia Twarogowski, a branch manager at
Akron-Summit County Public Library who has created a Sensory Story Time
<http://northwestakronbranch.akronlibrary.org/programs/sensory-story-time/>
designed for children with special needs. These are activities you can
do with other young audiences as well. Learn more about Tricia at the
Read-In event page
<http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=896>.

Put August 26th on your calendar and your name on our registration list
for the Picture Book Read-In, today: http://bit.ly/2014pbri

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/eventcalendar.aspx> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Great Lakes Resource Sharing Conference <http://glrsc.org/m>* -
    (6/5–6/6/2014) - Toledo, OH
  * *Finding, Supervising, and Motivating Community Library Volunteers
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=2932>* -
    (6/5/2014) - Online
  * *SWON Executive Board Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=616>* -
    (6/6/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Level-Up Lab: Introducing Personality Theory
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=1924>* -
    (6/9/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *iPads and Tablets in Children’s Programming: A How To
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=2933>* -
    (6/10/2014) - Online
  * *Cover to Cover: Redefining Books and Library Collections in
    Learning
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=2934>* -
    (6/12/2014) - Online
  * *CLEAR Children’s Book Review (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=743>* -
    (6/12/2014) - Kenton County PL, Covington Branch
  * *CLEAR Children’s Book Review (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=744>* -
    (6/12/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Rock, Paper, Scissors ~ Finding a Decision-Making System That Works
    for You
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=2935>* -
    (6/17/2014) - Online
  * *Support Staff (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=2958>* -
    (6/17/2014) - SWON Meeting Room

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org<http://www.swonlibraries.org>
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events