[OPLINLIST] No Goggles Required

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Oct 1 17:18:19 EDT 2014

Here’s a brief look at upcoming Labs on SWON’s schedule. Don’t see the
topic you want help with here? Tell us, don’t be shy! We frequently
create Labs in direct response to requests.

*School Libraries - October 14
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=477425&group=>*

School libraries are a frequent target for budget cuts these days.
Libraries are incredibly valuable in school environments, but it’s still
a job to make that case in terms that are persuasive to administrators.

Andrea Eshelman of Gale Cengage Learning is leading this Lab. She’s
traveled around the state of Ohio and will share what she’s seen in a
range of school districts and invite you to share what you’ve seen.
Andrea will also offer a hands-on Gale product update.

*LibGuides 2.0 - October 28
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=489001&group=>*

Springshare has released a major upgrade in LibGuides 2.0. With features
like page templates and responsive designs that play nicely with mobile
devices, there are plenty of new tools to catch up with.

In this Lab, Kari Jones will help you get familiarized with the 2.0
system. Whether you’re an advanced LibGuides user or still feeling your
way through a LibGuides site you inherited, meeting with a room full of
fellow LibGuides users is a great opportunity.

*Dealing with Conflict - November 19
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=484350&group=>*

Everyone has to deal with conflict, but managers face a special set of
challenges. In this Lab, Melanie will lead you through a self-assessment
to identify the way(s) you tend to handle conflict. She’ll describe five
different conflict-handling styles that offer a range of responses to a
given issue. If one approach isn’t working, Melanie will point out other
angles to try.

Being able to ask the question you’ve been puzzling over is worth the
drive by itself. To give us time to really dive in, Labs meet for two
hours here at SWON’s office, and admission is free. Stay current with
our Labs by bookmarking the page on the calendar that shows all the Labs
on our schedule
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_list.asp?show=&group=&cid=11761>.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

    November 13: Fall Luncheon and Membership Meeting

SWON’s Fall Luncheon will be held in Hamilton this year so that we can
take a tour of the Lane Libraries Community Technology Center. They’ve
packed a lot of tech into this small, dedicated space.

We’ll also hear from school and academic librarians in southwest Ohio
who have designed maker spaces and tool sets that meet their patrons’
needs. Learn about the makers in your neighborhood and hear a brief
report-out from SWON, this November: http://tiny.cc/makerluncheon.

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_list.asp> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Ethnic Librarians & Staff (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=437545&group=>* -
    (10/3/2014)
  * *Manga for Young Adult Collections
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=456554&group=>* -
    (10/7/2014) - Online
  * *Ohio Library Council Convention and Expo
    <http://http//olc.org/conventionandexpo.php>* - (10/8–10/10/2014) -
    Columbus, OH
  * *I’m a Manager- Now What? Things You Didn’t Learn in Library School
    <http://swonlibraries.site-ym.com/events/event_details.asp?id=488048&group=>*
    - (10/9/2014) - Webinar
  * *Non-Fiction Matters: Outstanding Informational Books for Children
    <http://swonlibraries.site-ym.com/events/event_details.asp?id=485228&group=>*
    - (10/9/2014) - Webinar
  * *Children’s Literature Review (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.site-ym.com/events/event_details.asp?id=437565&group=>*
    - (10/9/2014) - Kenton County Public Library, Covington Branch
  * *Books by the Banks <http://booksbythebanks.org>* - (10/11/2014) -
    Duke Energy Convention Center, Cincinnati
  * *Level-Up Lab: School Library Value
    <http://swonlibraries.site-ym.com/events/event_details.asp?id=477425&group=>*
    - (10/14/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *ROYAL Literature Review (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.site-ym.com/events/event_details.asp?id=437571&group=>*
    - (10/14/2014) - Lane Public Libraries, Fairfield

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org<http://www.swonlibraries.org>
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events