[OPLINLIST] ALAO CMCIG Workshop: Novel-Ties: Classics and Comics in the Classroom

Alisa Mizikar amizikar at wittenberg.edu
Tue Apr 7 14:49:53 EDT 2015

There's still time to register for the ALAO Curriculum Materials Center Interest Group Spring Workshop:

Novel-Ties: Classics and Comics in the Classroom
With so much focus on technology these days, we’re going back to the books to look at how literature can be used in the classroom in innovative ways. We’ll examine the more “traditional” novel and get the inside story from a 2015 Newbery Committee member. We’ll also look at the graphic novel and how its popularity with students can be leveraged in the classroom to enhance reading instruction and to provide new opportunities to engage with text. In addition, we’ll take some time for small group discussions on topics of interest to Curriculum Materials Center librarians. The day will conclude with a brief tour of the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum.
Click here to Register Now<http://www.alaoweb.org/event-1882650>
Monday, April 20, 2015
9:30am-4:00pm
The Ohio State University (Main Campus)
Thompson Library, Room 150
1858 Neil Avenue Mall, Columbus, OH 43210
http://www.osu.edu/visitors/directions.php

Program:

9:30am – 10:00am

Registration & Continental Breakfast

10:00am

Welcome & Introductions

10:10am – 11:10am

“An Insider's Look at the Newbery Medal Process”  - Stephanie Bange, Wright State University

11:10am – 11:20am

Break

11:20am – 12:00pm

Round Table Discussions

12:00pm – 1:00pm

Lunch (provided by Donato’s)

1:00pm – 2:00pm

“It's More Than Just a Comic…Using Graphic Novels to Engage Readers of All Levels”
- Anita Gonzalez, Ohio Resource Center

2:00pm – 3:00pm

“The Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum: Exploring Teaching and Learning with Comics in the Classroom” - Caitlin McGurk, The Ohio State University

3:00pm

Visit to OSU’s Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum (optional)

Cost is $20.00 and includes the workshop, continental breakfast, lunch and museum visit. Please note the cost of parking is $11.25/day

For more information, contact the CMCIG co-chairs:
Deidra Herring - herring.44 at osu.edu<mailto:herring.44 at osu.edu>
Sharon Kerestes - skerestes at cedarville.edu<mailto:skerestes at cedarville.edu>
[https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif]