[OPLINLIST] 3D printing, beyond bunnies

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Apr 23 16:03:01 EDT 2015

In the box for SWON's 3D printer
<http://swonlibraries.org/?page=tech_to_lend> sits a broken iPhone case.
It was made by the printer, in bright blue plastic, but it's split near
the space where you'd plug headphones in. This isn't surprising---the
hard plastic used by the printer can't flex enough for the iPhone to
squeeze in without splitting---but it is instructive.

That's why I talk about that iPhone case every time I take it to another
library. We want people to understand how the printer works, what it
does well and what its printed pieces are like. And we hope seeing a 3D
printer in action will get people into problem-solving mode.

There are lots of examples of problems that 3D printers have helped
solve. Here's a slide-in mount for a smartphone
<http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:55497> that attaches your phone to a
tripod. It doesn't need to flex, so it won't break, and it's very useful
for recording videos. Here's a camera-to-telescope adapter
<http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:78930> for a Sony NEX camera. Attach
to your camera's lens mount, slide it onto your telescope, and make
amazing photos of the moon.

And here's an HD TV antenna
<https://www.youmagine.com/designs/single-bay-atsc-digital-hd-tv-antenna>,
assembled with the help of a few bolts and screws and ten feet of
aluminum wire, that closely resembles our antenna at home at about
1/10th the cost.

I like these projects because they encourage people to do more than
print dollar store bric-a-brac. They can help people realize that they
could build the solution to their problem. That's a great first step for
a 3D printer library program to aspire to take.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

    3D printing at the Staff Training Symposium

Put on your thinking cap and join us at the Staff Training Symposium for
a session on 3D printing. You'll see our 3D printer in action and learn
how small errors can take it out of action. You'll get your hands on
models we've printed, and together we'll brainstorm to think of problems
the 3D printer could help solve.

The Symposium this spring is a nice mix of technical and personal
sessions. You can learn about healthy eating on the run and helpful
stances on customer service, and pick up some emerging technologies
know-how. Join us May 12th
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=526898&group=> for
all this and some fun!

    Civic hacking and mapmaking

Though there are satellite images of the entire world
<https://www.fort.usgs.gov/sites/landsat-imagery-unique-resource/case-studies/mapbox-innovating-landsat>,
it takes people to translate those pictures into maps. Maps are a
critical tool when disasters strike. Typhoons, ebola & cholera
outbreaks, cyclones, refugees in crisis: these are maps in the process
of being made right now <http://tasks.hotosm.org> through the
Humanitarian OpenStreetmap Team.

You can join them! Come to SWON's Level-Up Lab on Humanitarian Mapping,
May 6
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=599097&group=>,
and Nathan will introduce the simple browser-based software you'll use.
All it really takes is attention to detail. Oh, and a laptop (which we
have). Let's draw a map together.

    Coming up on the calendar
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_list.asp>

  * *MS Publisher Projects
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=593517&group=>*
    April 28, 2015 - Boone County Public Library, Main Branch
  * *Adult Planning and Services (Special Interest Group) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=509816&group=>*
    May 4, 2015 - Dayton Metro Temporary Main Branch
  * *Hackathons: An Innovative Approach to Digital Instruction
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=608462&group=>*
    May 5, 2015 - Online
  * *More Than Crafts: Implementing Learning Activities and Experiences
    in Your Storytimes
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=608486&group=>*
    May 5, 2015 - Online
  * *Level-Up Lab: Teaching Patrons Humanitarian Mapping
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=599097&group=>*
    May 6, 2015 - SWON Meeting Room
  * *ROYAL Literature Review (Special Interest Group) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=517334&group=>*
    May 7, 2015 - Kenton County Public Library, Covington Branch