[OPLINLIST] Low Teen Programming Attendance at Specific Branches

Amanda Henning ahenning at delawarelibrary.org
Tue Feb 17 11:41:28 EST 2015

Please excuse cross posting..

We are a medium-sized library system in Central Ohio with four very diverse
branches.  Our teen programming attendance at our main branch and our most
rural branch have been on the rise for several years.  Our programming
numbers at our second biggest branch and one of our smaller branches (both
in upper class neighborhoods) have been on the decline for several years.
We've always assumed that the students in these two areas are more busy
academically, but the numbers are continuing to drop.  So two questions:

1.  Has any one had a similar experience and found a programming model that
improved those numbers?

2.  Has anybody stopped doing teen programming entirely or lessened the
amount?

Our summer numbers continue to be fine at all branches, our issues have
been specifically during the school year (volunteering also continues to be
popular year-round).  I'm really reeeeally hesitant to stop offering
programming altogether (on the theory that if you keep trying, you might at
least hit a better strategy at some point), but our teen staff at those
branches are really discouraged.

thanks,

--
Amanda Henning