[OPLINLIST] OPLIN email has failed

Stephen Hedges st.hedges at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 11:49:33 EDT 2015

PLEASE PASS THIS INFO to anyone who had an oplin.org email address. We need
help getting the word out.

The OPLIN email server suffered an unrecoverable failure on Friday.
Multiple attempts to restore from backups were unsuccessful, and it is now
clear that restoration from backups is not possible.

The details:

***
We had Zimbra version 8.0.2 running on an Ubuntu 10 server. The server
needed upgraded to Ubuntu 14, because Ubuntu 10 reaches its End of Life

The plan was to upgrade the server to U14, then upgrade Zimbra to 8.6.0 for
U14. Ubuntu upgraded quickly and without issue. Zimbra's upgrade path is a
bit strange, because you basically do a completely new install that then
finds your old install and modifies it. Zimbra 8.6.0 failed to start after
the upgrade. Zimbra version 8.0.9 (the latest version of our Zimbra line,
which should work on Ubuntu 14) also failed to start, complaining of LDAP
issues.

Logically, our next step should have worked: We tried to revert to Zimbra
8.0.2 running on Ubuntu 10, using our backups. Something is not logical
about Zimbra, however, and even this failed to start, complaining of LDAP
issues. Communications with Zimbra, Inc. have not resulted in any solutions.
***

The server that handles the OPLIN mailing lists was not affected by this
failure. Libraries that send notices to their patrons ~should~ have been
using this server and their notices will not be affected. Likewise
libraries that use our SMS service for sending messages to cellphones will
not be affected.

We are preparing a list of alternate email services for libraries, since
the oplin.org service will no longer work.

Our major task today will be communication. We are using our Facebook page (
https://www.facebook.com/oplin.org), our Twitter account (
https://twitter.com/OPLIN), and the webpages at http://oplin.org and
http://support.oplin.org to convey information.

I appreciate your help in getting the word out to folks without email.

---
Stephen Hedges
OPLIN Director