[OPLINLIST] Fwd: SWON Weekly: How to Build a Better World with SWON's Summer Reading Workshop (and more!)

Cassondra Vick cassondra at swonlibraries.org
Mon Aug 22 12:01:50 EDT 2016

If this email does not display properly, use this link:
http://swonlibraries.org/news/304663/

Register for SWON *here*
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3DRegister>
*SWON serves libraries in Kentucky and Ohio *
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fnews%2Fdefault%2Easp%3Fid%3D8203>

SWON Libraries // Weekly
[image: SWON Libraries Weeekly]
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg>
Build a Better Summer Reading Program

Summer Reading is probably finished for many of you… which means it is time
to start thinking about Summer Reading! SWON’s Fall Summer Reading
Programming Workshop
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D825147%26group%3D>
– an all-day event chock full of fresh programming ideas for Youth Services
staff – is almost here, so that you can get a jump on your next year’s
Summer Reading Program.

Twice a year we here at SWON do our best to bring you fresh ideas and a
unique take on the Collaborative Summer Library Program
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecslpreads%2Eorg%2F>,
and for the 2017 theme “Build a Better World
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecslpreads%2Eorg%2Fprograms%2Ffuture%2Dprograms%2F>,”
we’ve done no different. In fact, we are hoping that our take on this theme
will help you reach even more broadly for even more exceptional programming
ideas.

The CLSP’s 2017 “Build a Better World” theme may have been billed as a
theme about architecture, building and construction, (and we’ve got those
programs for you: such as Alice Beresford of PLCHC’s “Tool Time for Kids”
program, which will guide you on projects using hammers, screwdrivers and
other basic tools that you can do with children ages 6 to 12 at minimal
cost), however, woodworking isn’t the only way we think you can “Build a
Better World.” And since not all of you use CLSP's program, we believe
offering a wide variety of choices helps us to better serve you all.

So we’ll also be including sessions on Environmental Education, Civics,
Recycling and even Financial Literacy. For instance: You can learn
from the Montgomery
County Solid Waste District’s T.R.A.S.H. exhibit how to better your world
by building with recycled materials. From KCPL’s Certified Environmental
Educator, Jennifer Beach, you can learn how to support “environmental
literacy” in your library’s programming.

There’s lots more to learn at this year’s Fall Summer Reading Programming
Workshop, so we’ll see you
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D825147%26group%3D>at
the Washington Centerville Public Library in Centerville, Ohio on Tuesday
September 27th and we’ll learn how to build and build a better world…
together.

~
*Cassondra Vick, MLIS    Technology Educator, SWON Libraries*

  Register Now!
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D825147>
------------------------------
Research Opportunity

Hello! We are library science professors from the University of Kentucky,
conducting IRB-approved research on intellectual freedom. We want to
interview children’s and young adult librarians who work in public
libraries who have *not* had any challenges to their collections. This will
help us develop best practices for promoting intellectual freedom and will
help your fellow librarians. If you are interested in participating, please
email one of us for more information.

Also, we want to interview people nationwide, so please share this
announcement widely.

With thanks,

Dr. Stephanie D. Reynolds: stephanie.reynolds at uky.edu
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmail%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fa%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fmail%2F%3Fview%3Dcm%26fs%3D1%26tf%3D1%26to%3Dstephanie%2Ereynolds%40uky%2Eedu>

Dr. Shannon M. Oltmann: shannon.oltmann at uky.edu
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmail%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fa%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fmail%2F%3Fview%3Dcm%26fs%3D1%26tf%3D1%26to%3Dshannon%2Eoltmann%40uky%2Eedu>

------------------------------
[image: Describe Image Here]
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D830296%26group%3D>

The Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library of the University of
Cincinnati is partnering with The National Center for Biotechnology
Information (NCBI) to bring a series of workshops to educate researchers on
a number of database housed within the NCBI domain. The workshops will be
held November 8th-10th 2016 in Kresge Auditorium in the College of Medicine.
  Check It Out!
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D830296>
------------------------------
[image: Coming up on the calendar...]
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Flist%2Easp>
* Please register for online classes at least two days before they take
place. *

   - * Webinar - Stellar Series Nonfiction for Fall
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D847876>
   *
      - Cost: *FREE* (a Booklist event)
   * 8/23/2016 - Online *

   - * Webinar - Word Wizardry: Vocabulary Enhancement in Early Childhood,
   Prek Through Grade 1
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D837515>
   *
      - Cost: *FREE* (an Early Childhood Investigations event)
   * 8/24/2016 - Online *

   - * Webinar - Career Search Strategies for Older Patrons
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D822737>
   *
      - Cost: *FREE* for employees of Supporting Member Institutions
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3Dsupporting%5Fmembers>
      $20 for members in our Ohio service area
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3Dmembership>
      $40 for everyone else
   * 8/25/2016 - Online *

   - * Webinar: 30 Minute eClassroom: Science Reference Center & Concumer
   Health Complete
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D843822>
   *
      - Cost: *FREE* for employees of Supporting Member Institutions
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3Dsupporting%5Fmembers>
      $15 for everyone else
   * 8/29/2016 - Online *

   - * Webinar - Free Comic Book Day: A How-To
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D822741>
   *
      - Cost: *FREE* for employees of Supporting Member Institutions
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3Dsupporting%5Fmembers>
      $20 for members in our Ohio service area
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3Dmembership>
      $40 for everyone else
   * 8/30/2016- Online *

   - * Booklist Webinar - Back to School: New Titles for the School Library
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D850169>
   *
      - Cost: *FREE* (a Booklist event)
   * 8/30/2016 - Online *

   - * Webinar - Nurturing Bilingual Infants and Toddlers
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D837510>
   *
      - Cost: *FREE* (an Early Childhood Investigations event)
   * 8/31/2016 - Online *

   - * Level-Up Lab: Google Apps 101
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D817833>
   *
      - Cost: *FREE*
   * 8/31/2016 - Blue Ash, OH*

------------------------------
Save the date for these events...

   - * Fall Summer Reading Program Workshop 2017 - Build a Better World
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D825147>
   *
   9/27/2016 - Centerville, Ohio
   - * Staff Training Symposium: Libraries Transform
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D838757>
   *
   10/6/2016 - Newport, Kentucky
   - * Fall 2016 Membership Meeting
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Fdetails%2Easp%3Fid%3D786204>
   *
   12/1/2016 - TBD
   - * Makerspace Programs Event
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fnews%2Fnews%2Easp%3Fid%3D302667%26hhSearchTerms%3D%2522makerspace%2522>
   *
   12/06/2016 - Xavier University

You’re receiving this because you’re
​on a LISTSERV or manage a mailing list

To unsubscribe, please follow your LISTSERV instructions​

[image: Follow us on Twitter]
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2573951&ymlink=37161907&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter%2Ecom%2Fswonlibraries>
[image:
Visit us on Facebook]