[OPLINLIST] fine free

Anne Lowery alowery at seolibraries.org
Fri Jul 15 09:09:34 EDT 2016

How long have you been “no-fine.”

*We went "fine free" about a year and a half ago.*

Is it working?

*I guess that depends on what you are trying to achieve. Our goal was to
eliminate hassles for staff,**
**not punish loyal patrons who occasionally couldn't get material back
on time, and become a more "customer friendly"**
**place. I believe we have met those goals.

*
Do you have a way for people to donate in lieu of paying a fine (a
donation jar at the circ desk?)

*We allowed our Friends group to place donation boxes at both circ
desks. I believe they are collecting more than we ever did**
**with fines and it all comes back to us in the long run.

*
Has it increased circulation?*

I see no evidence that circulation grew with the policy change, but I do
believe we recover more "lost" material than we did before - although
like some others have mentioned, overdue materials go to "lost" quicker
than before. We use Unique Management for collections and they are
definitely getting more cases, but the recovery rate is still pretty good.

*
Any other thoughts you may have.*

The hardest sell was to staff, but after having it in place, they
definitely like not having to argue with idiots over .50. It is a
gestrue of good will on our part to
our patrons - something we may have to "sell" a little if we are forced
into a levy campaign. In a sense, we DO have a fine - the $10 referral
fee for those patrons
who choose to ignore the multiple overdue notices and phone calls. So in
that light, we have taken away the punishment of the little old lady who
was afraid to venture
out on a bad weather day to return a book and focused it where it should
be - those irresponsible patrons who will abuse us regardless of whether
or not we have fines.
It just costs them more now....even if the money goes to Unique. It does
not seem to have reduced the number of delinquent borrowers - increased
them really....or just catches them
earlier. Now the only bitching we really hear from people is the $10
referral fee, but they brought that on themselves. The biggest increase
in referrals I have seen is on children accounts.
Now Mom or Dad gets slapped with a $10 referral fee if they choose not
to monitor their child's library materials. Not our intention, but I can
live with that easier than fining old people and
loyal patrons.... even a minimal fine... because they are a few days late.

--
Anne Lowery, MLIS
Director