[OPLINLIST] "No-Fine" Libraries

Jay Miley jay at mercerlibrary.org
Fri Jul 15 15:47:00 EDT 2016

Hi Janel,

The Mercer County District Library started "No Fine" in April of this year
to start off National Library Week. We decided to charge no fines for all
items including movies.

So far it has gone quite well. Patrons and staff have been very receptive
of the idea. I've seen an increase of lost items being returned to the
library which is exactly what I wanted to see. The number of overdue items
has remained about the same since we went stopped charging fines.

The main incentive we have to get patrons to return items is that their
accounts are limited or blocked if they have so many overdue items. If they
have 3-9 overdue items, they are limited to 10 checkouts total. If they
have 10 or more overdue items, their account is blocked from checking out
items.

I believe that these situations have rarely occurred since we fine free.
The few patrons that have been limited or blocked have been more than
willing to return their items once they know they won't be charged anything
for bringing them back.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to contact me.