[OPLINLIST] "No-Fine" Libraries

Tena Wilson twilson at starklibrary.org
Mon Jul 18 08:34:21 EDT 2016

Penny,

Stark has been operating with a no fines policy since September 2012. We have found that patrons return overdue items an average of 7.8 days past the due date. However, if an item is on hold for another patron, they return requested items a half day sooner on average (7.4 days). The same number of “abusers” exist now as before we started no fines – 250 patrons out of 105,000 active patrons. The incentive to return library materials remains the same – if they are not returned, you must pay for the item. We have found that 97% of patrons return their items on time or within an average of 7.8 days overdue. We are using hard data, not anecdotal stories -- which anyone who works the front line will have. We realized we were setting up all of our rules for the 3% who abuse their public library. We also found that only 8-11% of our collection was “in use,” in the homes of residents who own the materials. We realized we aren’t a book storage company and we wanted to remove what we could identify as barriers to use. The board and administration are very pleased with the results of the experiment and plan to continue to offer no fines.

I would encourage anyone thinking about a no-fines policy to begin by checking what percentage of their collection is checked out. Then you will know if there may be barriers that need to be removed to promote use.

Have a great Monday!

Tena

[SCDL_SA_ADMIN_Logo_email]
Tena Wilson