[OPLINLIST] Equipment for the visualy impaired

Shannon Bohle shannon_bohle at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 13:30:35 EDT 2016

Chris,
In 2009, I acquired a piece of equipment for our visually impaired library users at the Lima Public Library.  I conducted background research on various types of adaptive technologies and determined the best purchase for the library was ZoomText, which came with text enhancement and an audio reader. Purchase of the equipment was made possible through a financial donation from the Lima Host Lions Club, where I was a member.
Two versions are available:The ZoomText magnifier ($395): http://www.synapseadaptive.com/aisquared/zoomtext_9/zoomtext_9_magnifier.htm The ZoomText Magnifier/Reader ($595 - single computer license):http://www.synapseadaptive.com/aisquared/zoomtext_9/zoomtext_9_magnifier_reader.htm
Free trials of both are available for download at the links provided.
To help advertise the availability of the new software, I organized and led a public programming event on June 8, 2009. Tom Sawyer of the Cleveland Sight Center was invited to give a talk and and he demonstrated the latest technologies for the visually impaired, along with Amy Craig from the PSA3 Agency on Aging. The event was covered by our local FOX and NBC news stations to provide greater public awareness. (A copy of the news reel is available upon request).
The ALA also published a helpful guide, "Assistive Technology: What You Need to Know -- Library Accessibility Tip Sheet 11" (http://www.ala.org/ascla/sites/ala.org.ascla/files/content/asclaprotools/accessibilitytipsheets/tipsheets/11-Assistive_Technol.pdf).
If you have any questions, I would recommend contacting Tom Sawyer, who was very accommodating, if he is still with the Cleveland Sight Center (216-791-8118 Ext. 255; tsawyer at ClevelandSightCenter.org).  Shannon Bohle, MLIS, CDS (Cantab), AMIAP, FRAS, AHIP b: http://www.scilogs.com/scientific_and_medical_libraries @: SciMedLibraries<!--#yiv4810089605 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}-->