[OPLINLIST] Results of Tattoo Survey

Nicholas Slone sloneni at adamscolibrary.org
Mon May 23 11:02:02 EDT 2016

Good morning!

I received 5 responses from library directors and individuals in
management roles to my question about tattoo policies. In summary, all
of the respondents evaluate tattoos and piercings on a case by case
basis, rather than mandating that they be completely covered or removed.
The library director, board, and/or management team decides whether
tattoos and piercings are considered excessive and/or obscene. The
dealing with obvious issues, such as anything illegal, nudity, gang
symbols, profanity, etc. No one that responded had actually had to
enforce asking someone to cover up, since adopting this approach. I also
heard from several employees at other libraries with tattoos who were
very interested to see what other employers were doing. My board
approved a similar change, leaving it to my discretion.

--
Sincerely,
Nicholas Slone