[OPLINLIST] Congratulations to OELMA - Ohio Educational Library Media Association Named 2018 AASL Affiliate of the Year

marshams at library.ohio.gov marshams at library.ohio.gov
Mon Jun 18 10:49:05 EDT 2018

Please excuse multiple postings...

Congratulations to OELMA!

Sent on behalf of American Association of School Librarians (AASL)...
CHICAGO - The Ohio Educational Library Media Association (OELMA) has been named the inaugural recipient of the American Association of School Librarians' (AASL) Affiliate of the Year Award. The award recognizes the AASL Affiliate most active and dynamic in achieving the goals of AASL at the state and local level. The recipient organization receives a $1,000 stipend.

AASL established the Affiliate of the Year Award to acknowledge the important contributions Affiliates make to the national organization and to the profession. AASL encourages Affiliates to take pride in their accomplishments and hopes the award spurs educational growth, increased involvement at the national level and in the community, and legislative involvement.

To be eligible for the award Affiliates need to meet several criteria, some of which include involvement in community, education, and legislative efforts for a stronger voice for school librarians and the profession; development of leadership through Affiliate governance and volunteer opportunities; and providing several continuing education opportunities to meet the needs within the Affiliate membership and to build the school librarian professional community.

In their application, OELMA Vice President Susan Mongold wrote: "OELMA is outstanding! Our members are committed to the profession and passionate about what they do. The OELMA Board is actively engaged in legislative efforts and strives to provide up-to-date professional learning opportunities to our members. We are effective communicators of school library-related professional development opportunities, events, and activities. OELMA is constantly seeking ways to help our members face the challenges of the profession and empower them to be outstanding school librarians."

"Scoring the applications was a formidable task," said Mary Jo Richmond, award committee member. "In many of the categories it was a challenge for our top affiliates to distinguish themselves as they were all committed to serving their membership. What made Ohio stand out over the other applications? Their obvious dedication to promoting all things having to do with AASL. Time and time again their pure dedication to sharing AASL news with their membership helped this Affiliate squeak ahead of the competition. Congratulations to the Ohio Educational Library Media Association!"

The AASL award winners will be honored at the AASL Awards Ceremony & President's Program during the 2018 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans. The ceremony will be held from 9 a.m. - noon on Saturday, June 23. All are welcome to celebrate the accomplishments of their peers during this recognition event.

The American Association of School Librarians www.aasl.org<http://www.aasl.org/>, a division of the American Library Association (ALA), empowers leaders to transform teaching and learning.

###
[StateLibraryLogo-smaller-AA2]

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney, Ph.D.
Public Information Officer
Director, Marketing & Communications
274 E. 1st Avenue
Columbus, OH 43201
Tel: 614-644-6875
Fax: 614-466-3584
library.ohio.gov<http://library.ohio.gov/>

Share Your Story<http://library.ohio.gov/state-librarian/share-your-story> by telling us how a
State Library service or resource helped
you or your library.