[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: Crafting Effective Messages, Strategic Plan, LSTA Grants & the New Professional

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Jun 10 11:51:46 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5376479.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D51F82.DEE978F0]
NEONews June 10, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Many Workshops and Webinars to Choose From
  *   Rules and Benchmarks of the New Professional
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Crafting Effective Messages:
  *   Ohio LSTA Competitive Grants

Continuing Education to Print and Share
Don't miss an opportunity to share our one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0619_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf> with your staff and colleagues .
Crafting Effective Messages:
The Art and Science of Marketing Communications
You’ve segmented your target audiences and outlined your projects. You’ve chosen your overall strategies, set quantifiable goals, and determined specific tactics. Now it’s time for the vital step of writing messages that your targets will respond to. During this deep dive into wordsmithery, you’ll learn how to combine the art of language and the science of psychology to craft effective marketing communications. But this session will not be dry—expect interaction and laughter! We’ll include writing practice and evaluation.

Join, Kathy Dempsey, author of the Accidental Library Marketer on Thursday, August 8, 2019 <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=53132&org_id=NEOL> at Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library to learn how to craft your library's messages.
Ohio LSTA Competitive Grants
The State Library of Ohio is pleased to announce the availability of  LSTA competitive grants<https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/lsta-grants/#AvailableGrants> .  Applications are being accepted in four categories:

  *   Data Management and Analytics : Create strong libraries and communities by defining outcomes, developing assessments, drawing conclusions from data, data visualizations, and/or managing and using data to make better decisions.
  *   Literacy : Supports the library role in the learning experience where literacy is defined as the ability to read, write and interact across a range of platforms and tools, and it encompasses early literacy, digital literacy, functional literacy, and others.
  *   Outreach and Partnerships: Assist libraries in providing new and innovative ways of providing services to users and potential users and in reaching individuals at a range of locations and through a variety of methods.
  *   STEM (or STEAM): Provides for innovative and adaptable projects which will include creative, educational, programmatic and/or instructional elements designed to increase skills and knowledge for student success.
All types of Ohio libraries are eligible to apply for LSTA funds. Applicants may request up to $50,000 in federal funds and all projects must include a 25% local cash match of the total project cost.  Applications must be received at the State Library by 11:59 p.m. August 30, 2019. A total proposal package should be submitted electronically to  LSTA at library.ohio.gov<mailto:LSTA at library.ohio.gov>.
A Note from the Executive Director
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]On May 21, 2019 the NEO-RLS Board of Trustees approved our new FY2019-2022 Strategic Plan. <https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/Strategic_Plan_July_2019_through_June_2022_FINAL.pdf>   As many of you know, NEO-RLS offers strategic planning services for the libraries in our region and I am a strong proponent of strategic planning.  I haven’t always been a fan.  In the past I was involved in processes which took so long to complete that the plan was no longer relevant once completed or had become impractical in terms of implementation due to changes in the environment.  However, the value of a plan done in a timely manner can be immeasurable and I am happy to say that under our recent plan we were able to increase continuing education opportunities and quality, grow membership, and reduce our deficit.  When everyone is working together to achieve the same goals and decisions are being made in line with goals, success is bound to occur.  I invite you to look at our new plan but would like to share that we have now defined our values (Collaborative, Professional and Proactive) and have created outcomes for our goals.  Our goals are geared toward fulfilling our mission “to empower the Northeast Ohio Library Community through high-quality staff development and dynamic collaborative activities.”  NEO-RLS staff members, management, and Board members are always open to listening to library needs, looking for trends and patterns, and finding ways to put people and resources together creatively for the greater good.  We are ready to begin work on our new plan and look forward to providing you with even greater involvement, learning, needed resources, and leadership opportunities, thus realizing our outcomes.  Thanks for your part in keeping NEO-RLS sustainable for the future!

Betsy Lantz
Many Workshops and Webinars to Choose From

Movin' Up: Transitioning from Peer to Supervisor [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53216>
06/10/2019
Creating a Resume Review Program for Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51096>
06/11/2019
Caring for the Mind <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51154>
06/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51161>
06/13/2019
Why Buy the Cow? Milk These Informational Resources for Free [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53217>
06/14/2019
Maintaining a Peaceful Attitude: How to Bring Positivity to the Workplace [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53220>
06/17/2019
Team + Work = TEAMWORK<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51097>
06/19/2019
Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52233>
06/21/2019
Mastering Uncomfortable Conversations with Library Visitors [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53221>
06/21/2019
That's Already Encumbered [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53222>
06/24/2019
Bullet Journal Basics<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51098>
06/26/2019
Brainstorming and Innovation <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51100>
06/27/2019
The Welcoming Library: A Multi-sensory Approach [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53223>
06/28/2019
Time Management: Yours and Theirs <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51457>
07/10/2019
You Can Be the Expert-Tech Troubleshooting with Confidence 101<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52975>
07/11/2019
Developing a Maker Mindset: No Makerspace Required<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53105>
07/17/2019
IT Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53248>
07/18/2019
Special Libraries Showcase: How they can help your Patrons<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53058>
07/23/2019
Providing Top Notch Health Information in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53057>
07/25/2019
Hosting a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Your Library <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52977>
07/31/2019
Rules and Benchmarks of the New Professional<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53059>
08/06/2019
3rd Face to Face Session - New Supervisors' Academy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53205>
08/07/2019
Crafting Effective Messages: The Art and Science of Marketing Communications<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53132>
08/08/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
08/13/2019
How to make Outlook and Calendar work for you! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53249>
08/14/2019
A Tale of Two Levies: A Case Study for Planning Your Library Levy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53252>
08/15/2019

Rules and Benchmarks of the New Professional
Perhaps you’ve heard that being; acting, and looking professional is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps you heard that professional behavior and performance does not matter anymore. The reality is that if you want to be successful, the way you look, talk, write, act and work will determine whether you are seen as a professional or not.  Being professional is more than just about taking responsibility for yourself and your work, it's about seeing beyond your immediate needs and thinking about the long-term perceptions of you, your workplace, and the people you serve. Join us on Tuesday, August 6th <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=53059&org_id=NEOL> at 10 am From YOUR Desktop to learn about the New Professional.
Template 1 - NEONews June 10, 2019