[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: Time is Running Out, Kindness, ALAO Scholarship, Digital Skills, Gripes & Public Service

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Mar 18 15:57:49 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5376479.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4DDA3.5478D600]
NEONews March 18, 2019

Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Register Today for March and April
  *   LSTA and IAL Call to Action: Letters to Federal Representatives
  *   A Day for Public Service
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Time is Running Out
  *   ALAO Diversity Scholarship
  *   Libraries Lead with Digital Skills
  *   Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances

Continuing Education to Print and Share
The Winter/Spring CE Guide<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Guide_0119-0619.pdf>  that lists all the workshops, webinars and network meetings for January - June 2019 is available.  Be sure to share this with your staff. Please let us know if you would like a printed and bound copy mailed to you.  In addition, here  is the one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0219_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>.
Time is Running Out
Register today for this Outstanding Two- Day Youth Event
Tuesday and Wednesday, April 16 - 17, 2019 at Sawmill Creek Resort [http://neo-rls.org/photos/50488_03182019100718.jpg] <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51158&org_id=NEOL>
NORWELD and NEO-RLS are partnering to bring back Dr. Betsy Diamant-Cohen of Mother Goose On the Loose to lead the first day of this workshop. On day one, you will learn why play is important; how to connect playful activities across school readiness domains to spark multiple intelligences; how to collaborate with colleagues to explore new ways to infuse storytimes with STEM and the Arts; how to build early literacy, social/emotional, and school readiness skills; match play with storytimes in ways that encourage parents and caregivers to become play partners and enjoy playful learning. The second day will be filled with music as Beverly Meyer, “The Music Lady”, takes you on a journey to become more musical (even if you think you aren’t). The day will end with a session of networking, crafting, and using the skills you’ve learned.  Room reservations need to be made by March 20th.
ALAO Diversity Scholarship
ALAO values diversity in its membership, in the profession, and in future library professionals. For that reason, we offer a  $1,500 scholarship to a promising student enrolled in an ALA-accredited MLS program who exemplifies the qualities needed to ensure a diverse library workforce.
 A qualified candidate will…

  *   Be a full time or part time student enrolled in or recently accepted to an ALA-accredited MLS program , either on campus or via distance education, for the fall term following the call for scholarship applications
  *   Currently live in Ohio
  *   Demonstrate potential in the field of library and/or information science
  *   Demonstrate leadership ability
  *   Demonstrate diversity in one or more ways, including, but not limited to: race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, life experience, physical ability
  *   Demonstrate commitment to these and other diversity issues

Please email diversity at alaoweb.org<mailto:diversity at alaoweb.org> with any questions.
Applications due: March 31st!  ​Apply now <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GHN3SHW>

Libraries Lead with Digital Skills
The American Library Association has announced Libraries Lead with Digital Skills —a new initiative, sponsored by Google, to ensure that public libraries across the nation receive ongoing access to free tools and resources to help everyone across America grow their skills, careers, and businesses.  The initiative provides the opportunities for libraries to apply for $1,000 in grant funding.

The initiative is launched in collaboration with Grow with Google, which has made a commitment to delivering in-person workshops for job seekers, small businesses, and library staff in all 50 states. The tour consists of free, one-day events hosted in local libraries, with the goal of helping people learn valuable digital skills like how to use the internet to help their small business grow, or how to use online tools to organize a job search. Learn more about the tour and upcoming events on the  Grow with Google Events page <https://grow.google/events/> .  The Grow with Google tour is in Ohio this week, beginning today with the Columbus Metropolitan Library.  Grow with Google will also visit the Akron-Summit County Public Library and the Lima Public Library.
Application Instructions
PLA is making micro-funding available to libraries throughout Ohio so that they can provide programming, outreach, and education in their own libraries, to address the digital skills gaps of job seekers and small businesses.
To prepare to apply, you can:
1.   Read How to Receive a $1,000 Libraries Lead with Digital Skills Grant <http://www.ala.org/pla/initiatives/google/howto> before you submit an application to become familiar with the requirements of the program.
2.   Preview the application <http://www.ala.org/pla/sites/ala.org.pla/files/content/initiatives/librarieslead/Libraries-Lead-with-Digital-Skills_%20All-States-application_revised_3-6-19.pdf> (PDF, 8 pgs.) to prepare the information before you submit it in the form below.
Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances
Improving Labor-Management Relations through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing
This highly interactive course will help participants build strong labor-management relationships through effective communication and grievance handling skills.  Participants will get information and hands-on experience in communication, collaborative problem-solving, grievance processing as well as tips for preventing grievances.
Presenter: Barbara Baker  is a Commissioner with the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS) in Independence, Ohio. As a Federal Mediator, she assists parties in collective bargaining negotiations and mediates labor and employment disputes in the private, public and federal sectors.
Visit the Newly Renovated South Branch of Cleveland Public Library on Thursday, May 9, 2019 <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51160&org_id=NEOL> and join us for this information packed workshop.

A Note from the Executive Director
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]I think a lot about the elements of leadership on a regular basis and about how effective leadership creates positive change in the workplace.  I think about this in terms of myself and how I conduct myself in my position at NEO-RLS; how I treat my co-workers, all of you as members, the Board of Trustees, and all of the many other people I come into contact in the course of doing my job.  I think of it in terms of the library staff member who took the time to walk me to a meeting room the other evening rather than just tell me where it was.  I think of it in terms of the student employee in the parking garage at a university, who last week greeted me cheerfully and then proceeded to direct me to the appropriate level of parking for the building I needed, all without any prompting.  I think of it in terms of the directors who have recently asked NEO-RLS to provide training on how to make positive changes within their workplace environments.  At the bottom of all of these interactions is a regard for the value of common courtesy and kindness.  Some people might not look at common courtesy or kindness as requisite elements of leadership, even the people in my examples.  However, I contend that trust is the foundational aspect of leadership and you can’t expect anyone to trust you if you haven’t treated them with kindness and respect.  The person who came out from behind the desk to walk me to the room was telling me by their actions that I was worth that courtesy.  The parking garage attendant who cheerfully provided complete information without being asked was telling me by their words that I was worth that kindness.  The directors who have asked about the training are demonstrating their high regard for their staff.  In other words, all of these people are practicing a fundamental aspect of leadership, building trust through courtesy and kindness.  As you go about your day, think about how you demonstrate your leadership capacity through the manner in which you treat those around you.

Betsy Lantz
Register Today for March and April

Best Practices in Performance Documentation [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52057>
03/18/2019
Tweens...After School Behavior: To Battle or Engage?<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50995>
03/20/2019
How to Write Effective Survey Questions to Get Useful Data<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52072>
03/20/2019
Understanding Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51143>
03/21/2019
Branch Managers Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51145>
03/22/2019
Book Discussion Circuit Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51146>
03/22/2019
Everyday Disability: Welcoming Patrons with Disabilities [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52055>
03/22/2019
Graphic Novels for all Patrons [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52033>
03/25/2019
Cataloging is not neutral: improving equity and inclusion in resource description<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50785>
03/26/2019
Instruction and Training Enhanced through Storytelling: Tips and Tricks to Engage Your Audience<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51144>
03/28/2019
Intellectual Freedom . . . The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52054>
03/29/2019
What are they thinking? Teen behavior in Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51092>
04/02/2019
Storytime and Program Planning Made Easy <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52074>
04/03/2019
Critical Conversations Conference: Mental Health Awareness: Libraries Create Safe Zones for Customers and Staff <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51153>  - SOLD OUT
04/04/2019
New Reference Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51147>
04/09/2019
Effective Workplace Communication for New Supervisors<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50996>
04/10/2019
New Supervisors Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51148>
04/12/2019
Play Your Way to Literacy Through STEM and Musical Madness! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51158>
04/16/2019- 04/17/2019
Weed 'em and Reap: Readers Advisory Benefits of Fiction Weeding<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52075>
04/17/2019
Increase Library Usage Through Strategic Merchandising <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50997>
04/18/2019
Myers Briggs Communication<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51174>
04/30/2019
Serving Forgotten Patrons: Libraries in the Fight Against Alzheimer's Dementia <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51093>
05/01/2019
Collaboration Connection: Planting the seeds to building successful community partnerships<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51155>
05/02/2019
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51156>
05/08/2019
Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances: Improving Labor-Management Relations through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51160>
05/09/2019
RDA in Practice: Enrichment vs. Original Cataloging<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51177>
05/14/2019
Free Tools for Working with Graphics and the Web<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50994>
05/15/2019
Early Literacy 101-An Ohio Ready to Read Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51149>
05/16/2019
2019 Directors' Retreat: Steps to Stress Free Leadership<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51194>
05/22/2019- 05/23/2019

LSTA and IAL Call to Action: Letters to Federal Representatives
As you may have heard, the White House budget proposal for FY2020 targets elimination of federal funding for libraries. For the past two years, programs that support a wide range of library activities—including Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) – were recommended for elimination by the Administration. After a lengthy delay due to the government shutdown, the Administration is again recommending similar eliminations in its budget request to Congress.

This year's "Dear Appropriator" letters have started to circulate in the House, asking Representatives to preserve more than $210 million in federal library funding. One letter asks members of the House Appropriations Committee to fully fund the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and the other asks the Committee to fully fund the Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) program. The more signatures we have, the better the chance that the appropriators will protect funding for LSTA and IAL programs. The bipartisan LSTA letter is being led by Representatives Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) and Don Young (R-AK) and the bipartisan IAL letter is being led by Representatives Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX), Don Young (R-AK), and Jim McGovern (D-MA).

This week, ALA Assistant Executive Director Kathi Kromer announced the launch of the FY 2020 appropriations campaign in response to the President’s budget. A key component to this campaign is the circulation in the House (and soon Senate) of two Dear Appropriator Letters supporting library funding. Many of you are familiar with these letters and the simple premise: the more signature we can get on these letters, the more likely it is that Congress will support library funding.

How can you help? We are asking all state chapters to take several actions by March 20:

  *   Create a letter, using your letterhead, urging Members of the House of Representatives to sign the two Dear Appropriator letters; one letter for LSTA, one for IAL. A template letter is attached.
  *   Send these letters to your Representatives no later than March 20. (Stay tuned for a second request urging Senators to do the same in the coming days.)

  *   Share your letter with ALA so we can amplify your message. ALA will share these letters with the appropriate Congressional staff in Washington and use these letters in social media outreach to Members of Congress. Please upload a copy of your letter to ALA at:
https://airtable.com/shrfK0kpex6OtKAJ5

  *   Urge allies and advocates in your state to contact their Representative and ask them to sign these two letters. The more calls from their home state and district, the more likely it is that a Member of Congress will sign the letters. Urge associates to participate by signing up for our engagement tool at https://cqrcengage.com/ala/?0
  *   Over the next few weeks, expect staff from the Office for Library Advocacy (Megan Cusick, Joaquin Falcon and myself) to reach out to you and ask you to contact targeted Members of Congress who have not signed the letters. You can keep track of who has signed the letters here: http://www.ala.org/advocacy/fund-libraries

A Day for Public Service
This is a day for all public service staff.  We will start with "Providing Great Customer Service" followed by "Verbal De-escalation" and end with a roundtable discussion to help one another.

Providing Great Customer Service: How to be an Expert!
What is the difference between "good" customer service and "great" customer service?  What characteristics make for a Customer Service Superstar?

Verbal De-escalation
Today’s increased service demands and the scrutiny placed upon public professionals have resulted in a growing need to master verbal conflict management skills. Verbal De-escalation training provides public professionals with communication skills proven to help de-escalate volatile situations, safeguard an individual’s emotional and professional well-being, and significantly enhance the organization’s professional image.

Join us on Wednesday, May 8, 2019<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51156&org_id=NEOL> at Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library.

Template 1 - NEONews March 18, 2019