[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News:TEDDY Award, 2020 Census, Only 2 Weeks, Circ Staff & Kindness to All

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon May 20 14:42:25 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5405807.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D50F1A.3C4D1A70]
NEONews May 20, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Education and Events Coordinator
  *   Watch for New Workshops and Webinars Being Added Daily
  *   Don't Miss Day for Circulation Staff
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Two Weeks Away
  *   Wadsworth Public Library Needs Your Help
  *   2020 Census Information
  *   TEDDY Award

Continuing Education to Print and Share
 Be sure to share this one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0519_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf> with your staff.
Two Weeks Away

Only Two More Weeks to Register for the  2019 Emerging Tech Symposium! <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51193&org_id=NEOL>

Make sure you don’t miss this day geared toward all things Virtual.

Wadsworth Public Library Needs Your Help

Nicole Moore is the Deputy Director at the Wadsworth Public Library. They are in the early stages of a possible collaboration with their local school district and she is trying to find similar school/public library collaborations.

Do you have a floating collection located within a school building? They already allow students/teachers to request materials to be delivered to their school building, but they are thinking about taking it a step further and putting actual books on shelves for students to check out during their lunch and study hall hours.

Please contact Nicole <mailto:nicole.moore at wadsworthlibrary.com> if you can assist her and the Wadsworth Public Library.

2020 Census Information
NEO-RLS will be working with the ALA 2020 Census Task Force to disseminate information in regards to the 2020 Census.  Here is a link <http://https:/www.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial-census/2020-census/library.html%20.> to where you can find additional resources.
TEDDY Award

The TEDDY award recognizes Distinguished Service by an ALAO member in the fields of Technical, Electronic, and Digital Services. It recognizes an individual's significant contributions to the technical, electronic or digital services fields.  Contributions may include service, innovative practices, presentations, publications, and leadership in the profession. The TEDDY is awarded annually at the ALAO Conference. The award includes two waivers to a future TEDSIG event and TEDS, the TEDSIG mascot. Nominees must be current ALAO members, who have worked in or are currently working in an Ohio academic library in the area of technical, electronic, or digital services.

To nominate a colleague, please send an email directly to  TEDSIG-chairs at alaoweb.org <mailto:TEDSIG-chairs at alaoweb.org>

Deadline for nominations is June 28, 2019.

A Note from the Education and Events Coordinator

[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35220_01302017090945.jpg]At one of our recent training sessions, a presenter told us a story about a very difficult patron.  The patron would come in frequently, cut in line and was very disruptive and demanding.  Staff would dread every time she came into the library. The patron would bark commands and demand her DVDs be retrieved, "Right now!".
After a few frustrating interactions, the presenter decided she would do her best to work with this patron in a positive way.  She treated the patron with kindness, respect and had patience.  After several times assisting this patron and talking to her in a calm voice, one day the patron said, very quietly, "You know, they murdered my son. I watch these movies so I don't think about him.”  The patron felt comfortable enough to share this very sad, intimate detail of her life, and it explained why she was so angry and impatient.

When someone comes into the library and they seem agitated or angry, you just don’t know what has happened to them a minute ago, an hour ago, a year ago or a lifetime ago.  That is why everyone is to be treated with respect and kindness, which goes a long way to helping everyone in many ways. You may be the one soft spot that patron has to land in a day filled with chaos or unhappiness.  Your kindness  can make a difference.

Melissa Lattanzi

Watch for New Workshops and Webinars Being Added Daily

Employee Onboarding [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52846>
05/20/2019
2019 Directors' Retreat: Steps to Stress Free Leadership<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51194>
05/22/2019- 05/23/2019
Human Trafficking 101 [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52847>
05/24/2019
If You Know More, You'll Find More: A Cataloger's Tips on Getting the Most from Your Catalog [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52845>
05/31/2019
HR Stuff that Every Supervisor Should Know <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51095>
06/05/2019
2019 Emerging Tech Symposium: AR/VR- Immersive Realities<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51193>
06/06/2019
Academic Library Directors' Networking Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52234>
06/07/2019
Creating a Resume Review Program for Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51096>
06/11/2019
Caring for the Mind <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51154>
06/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51161>
06/13/2019
Team + Work = TEAMWORK<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51097>
06/19/2019
Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52233>
06/21/2019
Bullet Journal Basics<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51098>
06/26/2019
Brainstorming and Innovation <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51100>
06/27/2019
Time Management: Yours and Theirs<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51457>
07/10/2019
You Can Be the Expert-Tech Troubleshooting with Confidence 101<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52975>
07/24/2019
Hosting a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Your Library <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52977>
07/31/2019

Don't Miss Day for Circulation Staff
It's All About Myers-Briggs and Working as a Team
The morning and part of the afternoon will focus on Myers-Briggs and the different types and how they communicate.
We will then hone our skills even more by looking at one of the most significant and important elements of communication, namely nonverbal communication. We will learn about how essential it is to be aware of our nonverbal cues, and how can we learn to read the cues of others, both our colleagues and our patrons, in order to understand them more effectively.

Learning Objectives:

  *   Explore where body language comes from, why it is important and how it affects us and others
  *   Discover ways to utilize nonverbal cues to communicate your message clearly in context to a variety of scenarios circ staff may encounter
Presenter:  Holly Klingler , Research and Innovation Coordinator, NEO-RLS
4 Times to Attend:
Thursday, June 13, 2019 - Wayne County Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51161&org_id=NEOL>
Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - Mentor Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
Thursday, September 12, 2019 -Canfield Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51163>