[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: Library Library Planet, ALAO Conference, Budget Testimony, Brainstorming & Innovation

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Tue May 28 12:57:39 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_2473007.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D51554.ECB52BB0]
NEONews May 28, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Still Time to Register for June
  *   Working as a Team at the Circulation Desk
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   internet Librarian Conference
  *   ALAO Announces Annual Conference
  *   Budget Testimony for Regional Library Systems
  *   Brainstorming and Innovation

Continuing Education to Print and Share
Be sure to share CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0619_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>  with your staff. More workshops and webinars are being added daily.  Be sure to watch the website for our newest offerings.
internet Librarian Conference
OCT 21-23, 2019 | MONTEREY, CA  | MONTEREY MARRIOTT

[http://neo-rls.org/photos/52057_05282019093922.jpg]
Registration is OPEN<http://internet-librarian.infotoday.com/2019/Register.aspx>.
You receive a discount for being an NEO-RLS member.
Your code: 19NEO

ALAO Announces Annual Conference
The Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO) will hold its 45th Annual Conference on October 18, 2019. The Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center, Columbus, Ohio.  This year's conference is titled:  Libraries Speak Up: Advocate. Collaborate. Educate.
Registration opens June 17th.  Click HERE <https://www.alaoweb.org/conferences/2019/about> for more information.
Budget Testimony for Regional Library Systems
Click here <https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/Budget-Testimony-FY-2020-21-House-Finance-Subcommittee-on-Higher-Education.pdf> to read the Budget Support Testimony FY2020 - FY2021 from State Librarian Beverly Cain so that you are aware of the struggle the State Library, related entites, and the four Regional Library Systems have had with stable funding over the past few years.
Brainstorming and Innovation
At YOUR Desktop Thursday, June 27th at 10 am<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51100&org_id=NEOL>
Brainstorming is an incredibly powerful innovation tool. From solving problems to generating creative, groundbreaking ideas, the act of brainstorming can spark fresh and extraordinary concepts, vision and actions.
Learning Objectives:

  *   Discover what can hinder the brainstorming process and strategies on how to successfully overcome them, providing “out of the box” thinking for innovation
  *   Work on ways to break down problems systematically and create a foundation for effective and productive brainstorming
  *   Understand and apply a wide variety of brainstorming techniques to be used individually, in meetings, with groups and more, for immediate results
  *   Use brainstorming to get past the conventional ideas and move into new, uncharted and innovative thinking
Presenter: Holly Klingler , Research and Innovation Coordinator, NEO-RLS
A Note from the Executive Director

[http://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]I sat down to write about problem-solving techniques today but before I started I picked up the May 2019 Library Journal.  It opened right up to an article titled, “The World Spins.”  I couldn’t resist, especially since the bolded headings were “Follow Your Heart,” “Sparking Joy,” and “Calling All Friends.”  Whatever it was about, I decided I had to read it!  After reading it, I decided I had to share it with you!  As you know, I routinely visit libraries as part of my job and I also visit libraries when I travel.  The article was about an online resource, Library Planet <https://libraryplanet.net/> (libraryplanet.net), which was created by two people working in two different libraries in Denmark, and self-describes as “A crowdsourced travel guide for libraries.”  What a great idea!  It turns out that lots of people like to visit libraries and the creators decided to create a Lonely Planet guide for those that want to share their experiences.  There are stories of libraries from all over the world on the site as well as a map of all the libraries represented.  You can contribute your story by following the instructions on the site.  If you want to be inspired by the world of libraries, go online and see what has inspired others.  Happy travels!

Betsy Lantz

Still Time to Register for June

If You Know More, You'll Find More: A Cataloger's Tips on Getting the Most from Your Catalog [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52845>
05/31/2019
HR Stuff that Every Supervisor Should Know <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51095>
06/05/2019
2019 Emerging Tech Symposium: AR/VR- Immersive Realities<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51193>
06/06/2019
Academic Library Directors' Networking Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52234>
06/07/2019
Creating a Resume Review Program for Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51096>
06/11/2019
Caring for the Mind <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51154>
06/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51161>
06/13/2019
Team + Work = TEAMWORK<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51097>
06/19/2019
Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52233>
06/21/2019
Bullet Journal Basics<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51098>
06/26/2019
Brainstorming and Innovation <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51100>
06/27/2019
Time Management: Yours and Theirs<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51457>
07/10/2019
You Can Be the Expert-Tech Troubleshooting with Confidence 101<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52975>
07/11/2019
Providing Top Notch Health Information in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53057>
07/25/2019
Hosting a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Your Library <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52977>
07/31/2019

Working as a Team at the Circulation Desk
Don't miss this year's ever popular Day for Circ Staff:
It's All About Myers-Briggs and Working as a Team

The morning will start with Understanding Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type.
Learning Objectives:

  *   Learn about what the Myers Briggs Type Indicator measures (and does not measure) and how it is related to your personality preferences
  *   Understand how you can utilize the unique skills in your work dynamics effectively, from problem-solving to communication to leadership development
  *   Be provided with practical strategies for working more productively with others of different and diverse personality preferences
In the afternoon, we will focus specifically on communication in context to our co-workers and our community patrons.
Learning Objectives:

  *   Learn how to use our strengths to communicate our needs and perspectives successfully
  *   Explore how we can reach and appreciate other diverse communication styles
We will then hone our skills even more by looking at one of the most significant and important elements of communication, namely nonverbal communication.
Learning Objectives:

  *   Explore where body language comes from, why it is important and how it affects us and others
  *   Discover ways to utilize nonverbal cues to communicate your message clearly in context to a variety of scenarios circ staff may encounter
Presenter: Holly Klingler , Research and Innovation Coordinator, NEO-RLS
Four Opportunities to Attend:
Thursday, June 13, 2019 - Wayne County Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51161&org_id=NEOL>
Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - Mentor Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
Thursday, September 12, 2019 -Canfield Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51163>