[OPLINLIST] NEO News: Weeding, Census, Library Leadership Ohio and New Webinars for 2020

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Nov 25 14:57:28 EST 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_2473007.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5A3A0.A73D1270]
NEONews November 25, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Many New Webinars for January and More to be Posted
  *   Collection Management: Focused on Weeding
  *   Census Recruitment and Workshops
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Library Leadership Ohio
  *   Census Resources

Continuing Education to Print and Share
New ways to receive continuing education information. Be sure to share this with your staff.
CE @ A Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/1119_NEO-RLS_CE-REV.pdf>
CE By Competency<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_By_Competency_0919.pdf>
CE By Track<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_By_Track_0919.pdf>
Library Leadership Ohio

The State Library of Ohio and OhioNET are again collaborating to bring you the 2020 Library Leadership Ohio<https://libraryleadershipohio.org/> Institute. Recognizing the ongoing challenges faced by all Ohio libraries, we believe that developing the next generation of transformative library leaders is vital to ensure the continued depth, growth, and quality of library services for all.

LLO 2020, Living our Values: The Library’s Role in Social Change, will be held at the Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center <https://www.nwhotelandconferencecenter.com/> in Lewis Center, Ohio, beginning the evening of July 14, 2020 and concluding at noon on July 17, 2020.  Tuition for LLO 2020 is $550. The event will be facilitated by OhioNET and The State Library of Ohio, along with special guest speakers with statewide and national reach, both from inside and outside of the library profession.

32 individuals will be selected to attend LLO 2020.  More information about the selection process and the online application, itself, are available at: www.libraryleadershipohio.org<http://www.libraryleadershipohio.org>.  Complete applications must be received by 11:59 P.M. January 17, 2020.

Census Resources
The State Library of Ohio is pleased to announce the creation of the Census Resources for Libraries <https://stliboh.info/cf0> web page. For the first time in United States history, the forthcoming Census will offer an online option to respond. In Ohio, there are many libraries that serve areas with limited internet connectivity and have historically been challenging for the Census Bureau to count. As community hubs with internet access, libraries will play a critical role in ensuring all Ohioans are counted.  Libraries are essential to every community, campus, student, and patron that come through its doors or connects online.

The State Library of Ohio wants to make sure all Ohio libraries and library staff have the resources they need to be prepared for Census programming, outreach, and patron questions.  The Census Resource for Libraries <https://stliboh.info/cf0> web page provides a wealth of information and links including a Census timeline<https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/census-resources/#Timeline>, dispelling Census myths<https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/census-resources/#Myths>, marketing <https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/census-resources/#MarketingPromotion> and promotional tools, and potential partners <https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/census-resources/#Partnerships> . The page will be updated regularly as more information and resources come out.
A Note from the Executive Director
[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35223_01302017091627.jpg]Best wishes to you and your families for a relaxing Thanksgiving holiday filled with good food, good friends, good weather, safe travels and everything else that makes your holiday special.  As I reflect on the past year at NEO-RLS I am grateful for so many things that have transpired.    You continue to amaze me with your thoughtful feedback on our webinars and workshops, pushing us to continually improve.  Our Advisory Groups enthusiastically suggest timely and interesting ideas for continuing education opportunities.  The increased involvement from the academic libraries has enriched our learning and networking experiences.  Participation from non-board members on our Standing and Ad Hoc Board committees has provided fresh and diverse perspectives, all with an eye to moving us forward into the future.  I have continued to visit libraries and am grateful for the time you have spent with me, the ideas you have proffered and the support you have shown NEO-RLS.  I have learned so much this past year from all of you and for that I am most grateful.  Together we really are maximizing library potential.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Betsy Lantz
Many New Webinars for January and More to be Posted

Collection Management and Development Network Meeting: Focused on Weeding<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55054>
12/02/2019
Spanish in a Pinch for Library Staff<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54172>
12/04/2019
Unconscious Bias & Micro Messages <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53320>
12/05/2019
Academic Library Director's Network Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55053>
12/06/2019
To Tag, or Not to Tag? Implementing RFID at Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54173>
12/10/2019
Teen Programming: A Mover & Shaker's Recipe for Impact and Success<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54134>
12/11/2019
Adult Programming Palooza: Summer Reading & More!<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54960>
12/12/2019
Salary Survey Discussion: Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=54833>
12/13/2019
Using EBSCOhost and Explora to Search EBSCO Databases<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55239>
01/07/2020
Children's Summer Reading Program: Imagine Your Story<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55246>
01/09/2020
What the Heck Happened? 2019 Employment Law Update: Part I<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55244>
01/14/2020
Copyright Basics for Librarians<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55241>
01/15/2020
Book Club Reboot: Creative Twists on the Reading Groups We Know and Love<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55242>
01/22/2020
Learning does not end in the classroom: Workbooks for self-directed learning about equity, diversity and inclusion <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55243>
01/29/2020
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55052>
01/30/2020

Collection Management: Focused on Weeding
Join your fellow colleagues for the Collection Management and Development Network Meeting: Focused on Weeding on Monday, December 2, 2019 <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55054> at 10 am at the Westlake Public Library.

Bring your questions and processes to share.  Please send any round table discussion topics to  Carol Tuttle<mailto:carol.tuttle at welibrary.info> for the afternoon discussion.
Census Recruitment and Workshops

The Hudson Library & Historical Society would like you to share the following information with your colleagues and constituents.  Both of the events will be held at the Hudson Library & Historical Society, 96 Library Street, Hudson, OH  44236. I am one of the area's representatives on the State Library's Census Committee and will disseminate information throughout this period.  Please contact me with your questions.

  *   Monday, November 25 Census Recruiter Carl Harris will be in the Rotunda from 2:30-5:30 recruiting for the following positions: Census takers, Census field supervisors, recruiting assistants and Clerks.
Public informational meeting Monday, December 16, 7 p.m., “2020 Census & You”
Learn about the history and importance of the 2020 Census when Faye Nicholson and Carl Harris, both of the U.S. Bureau of Census come to the Hudson Library & Historical Society on Monday, December 16 at 7 p.m.

Registration is required for this free program at hudsonlibrary.org.  Call 330.653.6658 x1010 for information.
Template 1 - NEONews November 25, 2019