[OPLINLIST] 2019 Dayton Literary Peace Prize Winners Announced

Gregor, Paul PGregor at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Mon Oct 7 18:41:25 EDT 2019

RISING OUT OF HATRED BY ELI SASLOW AND WHAT WE OWE BY GOLNAZ HASHEMZADEH BONDE NAMED WINNERS OF 2019 DAYTON LITERARY PEACE PRIZE

Tigerland by Wil Haygood and The Overstory by Richard Powers named runners-up
Winners will be honored at a gala ceremony on November 3, 2019

Eli Saslow's Rising Out of Hatred, which chronicles the awakening of a prominent young white supremacist, and Golnaz Hashemzadeh Bonde's What We Owe, a story of Iranian refugees living in Sweden, today were named the winners of the 2019 Dayton Literary Peace Prize for nonfiction and fiction, respectively.
Tigerland, Wil Haygood's story of two sports teams from a poor, black high school in Ohio who both become state champions in 1969, was named runner-up for nonfiction.
Richard Powers' The Overstory, a novel about nine Americans whose unique life experiences with trees bring them together to address the impact humans have had on forests, was named the fiction runner-up.

In Rising Out of Hatred (Doubleday), Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Eli Saslow tells the powerful story of how prominent white supremacist and radio host Derek Black changed his heart and mind. With great empathy and narrative verve, Saslow explores how white-supremacist ideas migrated from the far-right fringe to the White House through the intensely personal saga of one man who eventually disavowed everything he was taught to believe, at tremendous personal cost. On receiving the Prize, Saslow said: "What I appreciate most about my job as a reporter is it allows me a passport to spend time in places I wouldn't otherwise go, with people I wouldn't otherwise meet -and hopefully I get to take the reader along with me. That act feels even more essential at a time when Americans are increasingly isolated into our own bubbles by technology, by class, by ideology, and by geography. The best nonfiction journalism requires thorough investigation, but ultimately it is also an act of understanding, empathy, and peace."

In Tigerland (Knopf), Wil Haygood, the author of the best-selling The Butler, tells the emotional, inspiring story of two teams from a poor, black, segregated high school in Ohio, who, in the midst of the racial turbulence of 1968 and 1969, win the Ohio state baseball and basketball championships in the same year.

Winner of the 2019 Pulitzer Prize in Fiction, The Overstory (W. W. Norton & Company) by Richard Powers is a sweeping, impassioned work of activism and resistance that is also a stunning evocation of-and paean to-the natural world. There is a world alongside ours-vast, slow, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive, and almost invisible to us. This is the story of a handful of people who learn how to see that world and are drawn into its unfolding catastrophe.

Organizers previously announced that writer N. Scott Momaday, who for more than half a century has illuminated both the ancient and contemporary lives of Native Americans through fiction, essays, and poetry, will receive the 2019 Ambassador Richard C. Holbrooke Distinguished Achievement Award<https://www.daytonliterarypeaceprize.org/2019-holbrooke.htm>, named in honor of the noted U.S. diplomat who helped negotiate the Dayton Peace Accords.

For more information visit the Dayton Literary Peace Prize media center at http://daytonliterarypeaceprize.org/press.htm

Posted on behalf of Helen Prichard and the Library Committee of the Dayton Literary Peace Prize.

Paul Gregor
Head Librarian
Jamestown Community Library
(937) 736-7910