[OPLINLIST] Book club kits

Caitlin O'Sullivan cosullivan at ualibrary.org
Wed Oct 30 10:42:03 EDT 2019

Sonya,

For physical processing, I recommend numbering your book club books and
including a tracking sheet for the book club coordinator. Book club members
sometimes return their kit books to the library individually (instead of
with the bag), which leads to a game of "where's-the-book" with our circ
staff. You may also find it useful to copy the kit barcode into labels on
the individual books, especially if you end up with multiple kits of the
same title.

We attach kit barcodes to a laminated tag that zip-ties to the tote
bag's handle. On the tag, on the flip side from the barcode, we put a
bright yellow letter sticker to make it easier for our shelvers to put bags
in order.

Related FYI: if you're building your collection, keep in mind the physical
capacity of the totes you're using. We can fit ten average-length trade
paperbacks in ours, but only about 6 hardcovers, so most of our book club
kits are titles that we can order in trade paper.

Hope that helps! Feel free to email me.

Caitlin O'Sullivan
Cataloger
Technical Services