[OPLINLIST] NEO News: Cost of Speakers, E-Rate, Return of Book Look, Ham Scholarship & Mark Your Calendars

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Tue Jan 21 09:45:44 EST 2020

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5405807.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5D03F.8A8F1E90]
NEONews January 21, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Many Workshops and Webinars to Choose From
  *   Mark Your Calendars
  *   We Will be Closed
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   FY2020 E-rate 471 Webinar
  *   Share a Performer
  *   Society of American Archivists 2020 Ham Scholarship
  *   The Return of Book Look

Continuing Education to Print and Share
Don't miss an opportunity to share our one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0120_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>  with your staff and colleagues.
FY2020 E-rate 471 Webinar
Registration is open for the FY2020 E-rate 471 Workshop . This session offers a line-by-line review and analysis of the filing of E-Rate Form 471, the application for discounts on eligible services.
 There is both an in-person and webinar option on Monday, February 3, 9:30 AM - Noon.

  *   Register here for the in-person session at the OPLIN office<https://ceohio.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails?EventId=1348>
  *   Register here for the webinar only<https://ceohio.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails?EventId=1349>

Share a Performer
The Peninsula Library has signed Tom Seiling (singer/guitar, banjo, harmonica, drum machine) to perform for our children on June 23, 2020 at 10:30 am.  If other libraries are interested, he will charge $250. Contact  Tom Sieling<mailto:risatom at lightlink.com> if you are interested.
Society of American Archivists 2020 Ham Scholarship

  *   The deadline for applications to SAA’s   F. Gerald Ham and Elsie Ham Scholarship is coming soon:  February 28!
  *   The award is for $10,000 and a complimentary registration to the SAA Annual Meeting in the year in which the scholarship is received.
  *   Click here <http://www2.archivists.org/governance/handbook/section12-ham.>  for eligibility and application requirements:

The Return of Book Look
Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at Cuyahoga Falls Library<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=55626&org_id=NEOL>

We are pleased to be bringing back Book Look.  Gum Drop Books will be displaying books, providing a free book to attendees and a continuing education component.  After a lunch provided by Gum Drop Books, we will hold a youth network round table to share challenges and successes.

Save Money $$$$
All attendees will receive a 5% discount on all books selected at the review and purchased now, throughout the spring, or even for next year’s budget. FREE library processing (including shelf ready) and shipping is included on all orders.

  *   Thirty Seven (37) publishers on display for grades PreK-6
  *   Twenty Five (25) publishers on display for middle school
  *   Twenty One (21) publishers on display for high school
Continuing Education
Presentation on “How Can Publishers Influence Your Summer Reading Program This Year?” will provide valuable insights on how new book enhancements can better engage your patrons and elevate the success of your program.
A Note from the Executive Director
[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35223_01302017091627.jpg]When I started at NEO-RLS one of the topics of which I was totally ignorant was the cost of speakers.  I had no idea how expensive it could be to engage a professional speaker for an hour webinar ($150-$400), a half-day workshop ($400-$1700), a full-day workshop ($1000-$3500) or as a Keynote speaker ($1000-$3500), and that cost may or may not include any travel or other expenses.    But, I did know how important it was to be exposed to ideas from various types of libraries and experts.  So, when someone said, “You should have so and so do a program,” I was totally onboard until I found out they charged $2500!  I wanted to make certain we could provide high quality workshops and webinars even with our deficit situation.  Therefore, we have committed ourselves over the past few years to finding new ways of funding our budget line for Lecturers and Speakers.  In 2015-16 we spent $6,918 from that line.  In 2016-2017 we spent $8,462.  In 2018-19 we spent $11,367 from our budget line, $550 from a gift from the Leigh and Mary Carter Foundation and $15,531 from LSTA grants for a total of $27,448, all without increasing membership dues.  It is gratifying to know that you appreciate having a variety of new and different speakers, by virtue of the fact that attendance at workshops and webinars is strong and through your evaluation feedback.  However, with all of that said, we couldn’t possibly offer the 100+ workshops and webinars per year plus special programs such as Critical Conversations, Emerging Tech Symposium or Summer Reading, if it weren’t for the many generous and talented experts in our region and state who are willing to share their knowledge for free.  It takes all of us to make it work and together we really are maximizing library potential.

Betsy Lantz
Many Workshops and Webinars to Choose From

Book Club Reboot: Creative Twists on the Reading Groups We Know and Love<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55242>
01/22/2020
Learning does not end in the classroom: Workbooks for self-directed learning about equity, diversity and inclusion <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55243>
01/29/2020
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55052>
01/30/2020
Onboarding Essentials: From Interview to Integration<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55311>
01/30/2020
2020 Census and Libraries: Key Details and Strategies<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55315>
02/04/2020
What the Heck Happened? 2019 Employment Law Update: Part II<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55245>
02/05/2020
Teen Summer Reading Program: Imagine Your Story<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55510>
02/06/2020
The Road to Copyright Clarity<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55604>
02/11/2020
New Supervisors' Academy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55606>
02/13/2020
Gadgets and Gizmos: Exploring Technology for Youth<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55479>
02/19/2020
Creating and Maintaining a Summer Reading Database<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55625>
02/19/2020
Why SMART Goals<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55477>
02/20/2020
AOS Training and Fiscal Officer Network <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55746>
02/21/2020
EBSCO Do-It-Yourself Interfaces (Hobbies and Crafts, Home Improvement, and Small Business)<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55240>
02/25/2020
The Return of Book Look<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55626>
03/03/2020
If It's Broke, Fix It: Handling Leftover Challenges Effectively<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55627>
03/04/2020
Enhancing Community Partnerships and Grant Writing<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55249>
03/05/2020
The Basics of Project Management<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55264>
03/10/2020
Encore Entrepreneurship<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55629>
03/11/2020
A Day for Catalogers <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55745>
03/12/2020
Leadership Academy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55598>
03/19/2020
Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56004>
03/20/2020
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55599>
03/24/2020
Leveraging Libraries as a Resource for Immigrant and Refugee Neighbors<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55632>
03/25/2020
Next Level LEGOS <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55633>
03/26/2020
Budgeting Part 1: The Rules<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=55636>
03/31/2020

Mark Your Calendars
2020 Critical Conversations, Thursday, April 3, 2020 at Hilton Garden Inn, Twinsburg

2020 Directors Retreat,  Thursday and Friday, May 7-8, 2020 at Mohican Lodge & Conference Center.

2020 Emerging Tech Symposium, Thursday, June 11, 2020 at the Hilton Garden Inn, Twinsburg
We Will be Closed
[https://mms.neo-rls.org/slideshows/images/NEOL/default/B0.495533001579264417.jpg]
Template 1 - NEONews January 21, 2019