[OPLINLIST] NEO-RLS News: Virtual Staff Week, Fact-Checking, Last Day to Nominate, State Library and OPLIN News

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Wed Sep 9 10:49:20 EDT 2020

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<https://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_7547973.htm>

[http://viethconsulting.com/newsletter/7547973/5160414029/headerimage6173.gif]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39067019&nr=5160414029>
NEO-RLS News-September 8, 2020
Last Day to Nominate
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/65699_08262020143554.jpg]
A Note from the Executive Director
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/59194_02102020090245.jpg]

We've been hearing in our various network meetings that many libraries are not going to be able to hold their annual Staff Day this year.  We think Staff Day is really important, not just for building new skills but for providing the opportunity to try out new things in a fun and relaxed manner.  We can't provide an in-person venue this year but we want to help you start the New Year right!  To do that we are bringing our libraries a week-long, virtual Staff Day <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39152559&nr=5160414029> in January.  Our week-long event will be held January 25-29, 2021 and will feature two keynote speakers, seven breakout sessions and multiple Network Group meetings.  Our theme, "Positive, Proactive and Prepared" will be kicked off by national speaker, Cheryl Gould <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39153781&nr=5160414029> , with an interactive and engaging presentation on "Positive Thinking."  Breakout sessions will feature a variety of national and local speakers focusing on topics such as "Improving the Workplace When you're Not the Boss," and "Patience, Patience."  Breakouts will also include presentations on safety and security, diversity in the workplace and how to handle difficult workplace conversations.  The week will conclude with Dr. Tamsin Astor <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39155003&nr=5160414029> talking about the power of good habits and last, but not least, a relaxing session of yoga.  There will be two sessions each day (one in the morning, one in the afternoon) with a Network Group meeting in the late afternoon.  We invite you to join us for everything or as you can.  The entire week will be held via Zoom.  Best of all - Gold Members will attend for Free and others for a nominal per person charge. Staff Day will be open to any libraries that are interested with first priority going to NEO-RLS members in our region.  We are very excited to be able to bring Staff Day to you and your library.  Register your entire staff, part of your staff or individual staff.    For more information, Directors should visit our webpage<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39152559&nr=5160414029> or contact Melissa Lattanzi <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39156225&nr=5160414029>  to register.  The deadline to register is October 31, 2020.  We look forward to your participation!  Have a great week and stay well!

Betsy Lantz

CE to Print and Share
Please take a moment to share  CE at a Glance <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39070685&nr=5160414029>  with your staff.  There is something for everyone.
Fact-checking
How to teach students and patrons to fact-check like a pro
Wednesday, October 21, 2020<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39087793&nr=5160414029> at 10 am - 11 am
Dive deep into the tools and skills needed to verify the authenticity of information, and learn to create engaging fact-checking investigations that inspire students and patrons to investigate viral content. Access to News Literacy Project resources and classroom-ready examples are included.

Read More<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39073129&nr=5160414029>
Don't Miss an Opportunity to Learn, Register Today!

[http://neo-rls.org/photos/Calendar.png]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39074351&nr=5160414029>11/19/2020
Coping in a New World: How to continue to thrive and cope while providing public service <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39106123&nr=5160414029>
11/20/2020
2020 Hottest Tech Toys for the Holidays<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39107345&nr=5160414029>
12/1/2020
Youth Book Buzz Presented by Penguin Random House <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39108567&nr=5160414029>
12/9/2020
Adult Book Buzz Presented by Penguin Random House <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39109789&nr=5160414029>
Click the calendar to see all of our continuing education opportunities.

NEO-RLS Announcement
Mark Your Calendars for the NEO-RLS 2020 Membership and Appreciation Meeting!
This year our Membership and Appreciation Meeting will be held virtually on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 from 10:45 -12:45.  We will welcome our new State Librarian, Wendy Knapp, who will speak about her vision for the State Library of Ohio.  In addition, the leadership of many of Ohio's library organizations will speak on the topic - "Look to the Future: Next Steps after the Pandemic."  We will present the NEO-RLS Rising Star, Shooting Star and Advocacy Awards and will end by honoring all of those that participated in the life of NEO-RLS over the course of the year, helping to bring our region excellent continuing education opportunities and building a better regional for you!  We hope that you will join us.
>From the State Library
Buckeye Children's and Teen Book Award voting will begin September 1. Voting will be online at www.bcbookaward.info <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39101235&nr=5160414029>  and will end on Nov. 10, 2020. There will be a button for students to click on to vote, as well as a button for teachers and librarians who collect student votes and wish to submit them in bulk...
The organizers of Teen Think Tank have created a discussion forum for anyone interested in teen services. Join the Teen Think Tank open discussion !  Each week a different topic will be featured.  You can participate in the discussion by visiting www.teenthinktank.net <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39102457&nr=5160414029> , then click on Weekly Discussions...
We're excited to share that registration for ODNFest 2020 is now open!

This year's FREE virtual conference will be on Tuesday October 13th and feature sessions and speakers covering a wide range of topics in digital collections.
You can find all the info you need at the ODNFest 2020 site <http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39104901&nr=5160414029> , and we'll be adding more to the agenda as confirmed...

Read More<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39080461&nr=5160414029>
What Happened in August
[http://neo-rls.org/photos/66073_09042020133458.jpg]
>From OPLIN
Transparent Language has some webinars coming up in December that you might find interesting, including using Transparent to support your community's English Language Learners, and a deep dive into reports. You can register at  https://home.transparent.com/library-webinars<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39103679&nr=5160414029>.
Database of the Month:
Business Source Premier offers information from business publications as well as tens of thousands of company profiles.  It contains news and journal articles on marketing,
management, accounting and more...

Read More<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39159891&nr=5160414029>
Don't Miss It!
[https://mms.neo-rls.org/slideshows/images/NEOL/default/B0.188346001598367486.jpg]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=39071907&nr=5160414029>
Template 11 - NEO-RLS News-September 8, 2020

Northeast Ohio Regional Library System | 1737 Georgetown Rd., Suite B | Hudson, OH 44236

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<https://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_7547973.htm>
To share this via social networks, click here... <https://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_7547973.htm#SHARE>