[OPLINLIST] Graphic Novels

Christopher Richley crichley at westervillelibrary.org
Tue Apr 6 11:33:10 EDT 2021

Hello,

I'm a Page Trainer (shelving instructor) who is collaborating with the Youth department and Cataloging department at my library to reassess the current setup of our Teen graphic novel/comic collection. Our goal is to create a consistent set of rules on how these are processed and shelved that will appease staff in all departments, while being user-friendly to our patrons. I realize that each library ends up creating a system that meets their specific needs, but we are looking for any insight when it comes to cataloguing, shelving, spine labeling, etc...

To give an overview of our current setup, our Teen graphic novels are in their own section, which is further divided into 3 subsections (regular with manga intermixed, DC & Marvel.) They all have Dewey call numbers 741.5 except for a small "4th section" of non-fiction graphic novels with non-fiction content with Dewey numbers 000-999. (Kind of confusing I know!)

Our numbers are:

  *   Regular graphic novels (Manga intermixed) : Roughly 1,400 items
  *   DC graphic novels: Roughly 500 items
  *   Marvel graphic novels: Roughly 350 items

Here are some of the issues we're attempting to solve:

  1.   We're split between keeping Dewey number 741.5 or going to a Fiction call # (author/character).
  2.  For DC & Marvel, if we get rid of Dewey # , would it be easier to go by character? For example, our Batmans are all over the place because some are under BAT, and others are under the various authors. This in turn causes splits in series. Does a patron want to see all the Batman's together or are they looking for a Batman by a specific author?
  3.  For DC & Marvel, do you include volume numbers on spine labels and if so, do you shelve by those?  Or do you shelve alphabetically in title order regardless of a volume #?

We're looking for input no matter what department you work in so any information you're willing to share would be extremely helpful and truly appreciated.

Thank you,

Christopher Richley
Page Trainer
crichley at westervillelibrary.org