[OPLINLIST] Continuing Education Roundup - Vol 2 - Issue 2

marshams at library.ohio.gov marshams at library.ohio.gov
Mon Jul 19 10:43:54 EDT 2021

CONTINUING EDUCATION ROUNDUP
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D77C8A.F7063830]
For Ohio Library Staff
July 19, 2021
Vol. 2, Issue 2

Click here to read in web browser and download PDF.<https://library.ohio.gov/documents/continuing-education-roundup-anti-racism-and-libraries-still-much-to-do/>
Roundup of Helpful Resources

Dr. Hasan Kwame Jeffries was recently quoted in an article for School Library Journal about teaching hard history. As More States Consider Legislation to Restrict Teaching About Racism, Educators Fight Back.<https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=as-more-states-consider-legislation-to-restrict-teaching-about-racism-educators-are-fighting-back>  He will be speaking at Ohio Library Council's Convention and Expo as a keynote speaker<http://conventionexpo.olc.org/convention/keynotes/>.

On Implicit Bias and Communication<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/on-implicit-bias-and-communication.html>
Webjunction webinar. The State Library provides statewide access<https://www.webjunction.org/home.html> to Webjunction content. Click here<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction.html> to see more.

Conscious Child Family Book Discussion Kits on Racial Equity, Identity, and Justice.<https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/conscious-child-family-book-discussion-kits.html>
Article with links to resources.

Strengthen Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Practice through Self-Paced Learning<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/strengthen-EDI-practice-through-self-paced-learning.html>
Webjunction webinar. The toolkit workbooks include information and activities related to bias, microaggressions, allyship and cross-cultural communication, as well as a workbook focused on learning about Native American and Alaska Native people and communities.

Urban Libraries Council's Leadership Brief: Anti-Racist Executive Leadership for Public Libraries<https://www.urbanlibraries.org/files/ULC-Leadership-Brief_Anti-Racist-Executive-Leadership.pdf>
The brief focuses on the power of self-aware and committed public library executives in ensuring racial justice. It calls on all library executives to own the challenge and impact of enduring racism, acknowledge their own biases and use their leadership to dismantle structural racism, starting in their own library systems.

Learning For Justice<https://www.learningforjustice.org/>
Great resource for educators-teachers, administrators, counselors and other practitioners-who work with children from kindergarten through high school. Educators use these materials to supplement the curriculum, to inform their practices, and to create inclusive school communities where children and youth are respected, valued and welcome participants.

Research Report from Ithaka S+R on National Movements Racial Justice and Academic Library Leadership<https://sr.ithaka.org/publications/national-movements-for-racial-justice-and-academic-library-leadership/> which provide the results and analysis of a survey done in 2020.
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D77C8A.F7063830]
Introduction

Anti-Racism and libraries:
There's Still So Much Work To Do

A year ago Continuing Education Roundup #4<https://library.ohio.gov/wp-content/uploads/ContinuingEducationRoundUp-ForOhioLibraryStaff-V1-I4-print.pdf> focused on promoting anti-racism in professional development, public programming, policies, and spaces.  There is still learning to be done and actions to be taken when it comes to creating more equity for the communities we serve and within the library profession, itself.  As library professionals, we can use our excellent research skills to find resources to learn more and DO more to create change in our communities. In August of 2020, The State Library of Ohio and Bexley Public library partnered to host Dr. Hasan Kwame Jeffries.  His presentation "Making Sense of the Moment<https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/library-programs-development/critical-conversations/#MakingSenseoftheMoment>" is still available to watch and is a great introduction to the library's role in helping us understand race and racism.  Dr. Jeffries's podcast Teaching Hard History<https://www.learningforjustice.org/podcasts/teaching-hard-history> is also a must-listen.

Libraries and the communities they serve can only evolve and change if we continually look for ways to improve the systems that are not equitable or accessible to all. And that is always the library's mission- to be an open, welcoming place for all.

Check out issues #1-#7<https://library.ohio.gov/services-for-libraries/training-and-professional-development/ce-roundup-ohio-library-staff/> of the Continuing Education Roundup. Thanks for reading!

Email me at ekelsey at library.ohio.gov<mailto:ekelsey at library.ohio.gov> if you have ideas, articles, or topics for future issues.

Stay Safe and Stay Well,
Erin Kelsey

Erin Kelsey, Library Consultant, State Library of Ohio
274 E. 1st Avenue, Columbus, OH 43201
Tel: 614.644-6889
Email: ekelsey at library.ohio.gov<mailto:ekelsey at library.ohio.gov>
library.ohio.gov