[OPLINTECH] Network Services Customer Update - October 31, 2003

Vince.Corroto@das.state.oh.us Vince.Corroto@das.state.oh.us
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:17:19 -0500

Network Services Customer Update - October 31, 2003

Scheduled Maintenance:

Tuesday, November 4, 3:00 - 6:00 a.m.

ITSD network engineers will be upgrading the Operating System and memor=
y on
BBOET1 (router) at OET 2470 NorthStar
Road.  The estimated outage should be approximately 15 minutes.  This w=
ill
only affect OET customers.

ITSD network engineers will be making some changes to the State of Ohio=
's
primary Internet border router.  No outage is expected.

Tuesday, November 11, 3:00 - 6:00 a.m. (Veteran's Day)

ITSD network engineers will be making routing adjustments on several co=
re
routers.=A0 This adjustment will provide a more robust fail-over in the=
 event
of an outage on one of our upstream ISP connections.=A0 No outage is
expected.

ITSD network engineers will be performing maintenance on an UPS unit at=
 the
Rhodes Tower.=A0 Two routers will be taken down during the maintenance.=

Customers served by those routers will lose connectivity while the rout=
ers
are down. The outage is expected to be less than 1 hour.

ITSD network engineers will be changing  the State of Ohio's primary
Internet Service Provider from AT&T to TWT.

Completed Maintenance:

Tuesday, October 28, 3:00 - 6:00 a.m.

ITSD network engineers installed a new line card into a primary Interne=
border router located at the State of Ohio Computer Center.

ITSD Network Services "Infected Devices" Policy:

With the recent increase of worms and viruses, ITSD Network Services ha=
implemented an "Infected Devices" Policy.  On a daily basis, we detect
infected machines trying to spread to the ITSD Enterprise Network.  Thi=
s is
accomplished with our Intrusion Detection Systems that are operating at=
 the
border of the ITSD Enterprise Network.   If these infected devices are =
not
removed from the ohio.gov network, they can infect other machines.  If =
the
infected device is disrupting the ohio.gov network, the customer will b=
contacted and the device will be restricted from accessing the network
immediately.  If the infected device is not affecting the ohio.gov netw=
ork,
then we will notify the customer of the infected device and ask them to=

remove the device from the network.  Once notified, the customer will h=
ave
24 hours to cleanse the infected device.  If a customer fails to remove=
 an
infected device from the network (24 hours after they've been notified)=
,
the device will be restricted from accessing the ohio.gov network.  Thi=
policy will be updated as needed to maintain ohio.gov network access.
Please contact the Network Operations Center if you have any questions =
or
concerns.

DAS Goal -
DAS will leverage Ohio's investment in information technology by
implementing exemplary statewide governance in collaboration with its
customers.

IT Service Delivery Goal -
Provide customers with a secure, reliable, available, and stable
Information Technology environment, incorporating existing and future
architectures

Customer Suggestions:
Please send your suggestions for improving our network services to: E-m=
ail:
suggestions@net.state.oh.us Fax: 614-644-3349

Network Operations Center (NOC):
644-0701 (Columbus Calling Area)