[OPLINTECH] AOL and mass emailings survey

Greg Syferd gsyferd@cml.lib.oh.us
Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:03:15 -0500

Ya but to be honest I don't think the ILS vendors are the people to look
at there.

I think AOL as a practice it appears is now blocking based on volume of
emails.  We send out our emails at specific times in bulk.  My theory
(and we have not tried talking to AOL yet about this) is that their
servers see 1000 message coming into the AOL domain and assume it is
spam.

I guess this does confirm that it is an AOL problem though and not
limited to CML.  I intend to try and pursue this with AOL (based on the
info Karen provided in the previous post, thanks!) and will let you guys
know if I get anywhere.

We have been telling customers how to "override" this feature, but
certainly don't believe they should have to do this.

I love AOL ;-)

Greg.

>>> "Don Yarman" <yarmando@oplin.org> 2/4/2004 2:57:11 PM >>>
Wes Osborn suggested:

> I'm wondering if we could approach AOL from a statewide
> or OPLIN standpoint and see if they are a little more
> receptive.

Possibly, but the issue is obviously bigger than
Ohio and bigger than AOL.  What changes can the ILS
vendors make so that electronic notices are
distinguishable from spam?  I can't accept that the
~only~ answer is for each individual client to create
a special filter rule to allow library messages through.
Babies, it seems, are being thrown out with bathwater.

            Regards,
                          Don Yarman
                          OPLIN Library Services Manager
                          yarmando@oplin.org