[OPLINTECH] Office of Information Technology Customer Update - July 16, 2004

Gicale, Greg greg.gicale@ohio.gov
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:36:22 -0400

Office of Information Technology Customer Update - July 16, 2004

=20
Scheduled Maintenance:

Tuesday, July 27, 2004; 3:00am - 6:00am
OIT network engineers will perform maintenance on the State of Ohio's
backbone with one of our service providers.  No outage is expected
during the maintenance period.

Completed Maintenance:

Tuesday, July 13, 2004; 3:00am - 6:00am
OIT network engineers installed a DS3 card in the RROECN router at the
State of Ohio Computer Center.  Customers affected are ODJFS-SOCC,
OECN-SOCC Domain Name Server LAN and ODH-246 North High Street.

OIT network engineers did not perform maintenance on the State of Ohio's
backbone with one of our service providers.  The maintenance has been
rescheduled for July 27th.

.Gov Domain Names:

The General Services Administration (GSA), of the federal government,
notified OIT this week that they will start charging for ".Gov" domain
names.  The new fee will affect any agency that has a specific ".Gov"
domain name assigned to them (i.e. MyOhio.Gov).  The fee does not affect
an agency's use of the "Ohio.Gov" domain name. The new fee will be $125
per year.  New ".Gov" domain name registrations will be charged
beginning July 6, 2004.  Existing ".Gov" domain names will be charged in
staggered intervals from July 15, 2004 through September, 2004.  An OIT
representative will be contacting the agencies that have assigned ".Gov"
domain names within the next couple of weeks.=20

Non-TCP/IP Protocols:

Included in the Office of Information Technology's Long Range Plan is
provide a TCP/IP only ohio.gov backbone.  Our goal is to remove all
Non-TCP/IP protocols (DECnet, SNA, IPX, Appletalk, etc.).  OIT network
engineers will be contacting agencies, boards and commissions, in the
near future, that are still using Non-TCP/IP protocols, to work with
them on determining an alternate solution.

=20

__________________________________________________=20

OIT's Goal:

OIT will leverage Ohio's investment in information technology by
implementing exemplary statewide governance in collaboration with its
customers.

=20
Service Delivery Division's Goal:

Provide customers with a secure, reliable, available, and stable
Information Technology environment, incorporating existing and future
architectures.

=20
Customer Suggestions:

Please send your suggestions for improving our network services to
E-mail suggestions@net.state.oh.us=20

Fax 614-644-3349

=20

Network Operations Center (NOC):

Voice:  644-0701 (Columbus Calling Area)  or  800-644-0701 (Outside of
the Columbus Calling Area)=20

E-mail:  noc@net.state.oh.us=20

World Wide Web:  www.das.ohio.gov/ITSD/NetworkServices