[OPLINTECH] RFID

Patty pfonseca@ccpl.lib.oh.us
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:19:54 -0400

Has anyone considered using RFID?  We are drafting a long-range Facilities
Plan which may include a new branch built to utilize RFID, but we wonder if it
is too early to adopt this technology.  (We wouldn't build for a couple years
or more.)

We are looking at the RFID system offered by Bibliotecha.  Their bus will
visit our Main Library, 201 S Fountain Ave, Springfield, Ohio on Wednesday,
September 1st to demonstrate their self-check station, staff station, sensor
gates with ID function, item conversion in RFID, and inventory.   Their system
works with any SIP2-compliant integrated library system.

Anyone who would like to see how this works is welcome to join us at 1:30 pm
on September 1st.  The demonstration should be less than an hour.

We will also have staff on hand from 10:30 until 1:30 pm and after the RFID
demo until 3:30 pm that day if anyone would like to discuss some other
technology we have implemented this year, including: -WAM (Wireless Access
Manager);  -SAM (PC Management System from Comprise Technologies);  -Library
Decision (Planning tool from Civic Technologies using Geographic Information
System software, etc.

You can just show up if you'd like, but, if possible, please RSVP by August 26
to: pfonseca@ccpl.lib.oh.us or Fax: Attn: Patty 937.328.6908

One exception: Since we now use the Polaris ILS, we are inviting Polaris
libraries to come for an RFID demo at 9:30 am and stay for a meeting,
including an update on the new version just out. (Anyone using another ILS is
invited for the RFID demo at 1:30 in the afternoon.)

If anyone can't join us on September 1, but has any comments on RFID, please
email me off-list.  Thank you.

Patty Fonseca
Assistant Director
Clark County Public Library