[OPLINTECH] LCD monitors on patron computers

James Guilford James.Guilford@westlakelibrary.org
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:00:02 -0400

We have been using LCD monitors on all but a few of our 50 public PCs
for two years. The Dell-branded displays are holding up very well with
only one returned because of  a technical problem -- not user damage.
Adult patrons have treated the screens well and there have been no
issues. In the Youth Services area the little darlin's will sometimes
write on the screen surfaces with pencil and, at least once, with
ball-point pen. So far we've been able to remove the scribbles with
pre-moistened alcohol wipes which are also used to remove fingerprints.
{Why do people feel the need to touch computer screens anyway?} We're
quite happy with these LCDs for public use and will continue to use them.

--

James Guilford, Technology Associate