[OPLINTECH] Re: Gates monitors

Ron Dalpiaz dalpiaro@oplin.org
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:55:42 -0500

RE: Defective monitor screens

As a former consumer electronics technician, perhaps I can shed some light
on this monitor problem. A computer monitor CRT (cathode ray tube, or
screen) is exactly like a TV CRT. It is a glass shell with a coating of
phosphor on the inside front of the glass (screen). When the screen is
traced by an electron beam produced by the electron guns (red, blue, and
green) at the rear of the tube, the screen is illuminated with the "picture"
produced under control of the video card.

There have been rare instances where the phosphor coating begins to "flake
off" inside a CRT (TV or monitors), but it is extremely rare. It is evidence
of a  manufacturing defect  introduced into a particular production run of
CRT's. When this happens, a reputable CRT manufacturer will usually replace
the defective CRT's regardless of the warranty terms, as phosphorus coatings
are designed to last the life of the tube. The electron guns or main
electronic board nearly always fails first.

This defect has no solution other than replacement.

Gateway did not make the monitors, of course, and to honor an extended
warranty would necessitate Gateway going the extra mile to contact the CRT
manufacturer and arranging for a replacement of these defective units. That,
however, is unlikely to happen unless enough entities holding these
defective monitors band together and complain.

Hope this sheds some light on the situation.

Ron Dalpiaz
Technology Coordinator
Dover Public Library
Dover, OH