[OPLINTECH] Rollup 1 Update

James Guilford James.Guilford@westlakelibrary.org
Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:43:41 -0400

The "Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4" is breaking both Microsoft
and Non-Microsoft apps around the planet. In our case it caused HP's
Instant Top Tools for our Win2K Server to run the CPU at 100% all the
time. Since Top Tools is optional and I didn't use it often, I removed
the package and things got back to normal. Administrators I've heard
complaining find all they seemingly need to do is uninstall the Rollup
and their servers and/or apps are okay again. If you kept your patches
up-to-date prior to installing the Rollup, you ought to be okay NOT
installing it.

The OPLIN Tech list and the Library NT list also posted messages about
PCs with the Rollup installed "freezing" when trying to save a MS Office
document to diskette. I just saw that here today on a Win2K Pro PC
trying to save a tiny Excel spreadsheet

It's been a long time since we've heard warnings NOT to install a
Microsoft patch but this appears to be one to hold off from!

-- J. Guilford