[OPLINTECH] MAC in Wndows environment

JKENZIG JKENZIG@cuyahoga.lib.oh.us
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 07:54:11 -0500

Unless you are putting them out with Itunes so people with Ipods can dowload
and listen to music or buying G5's for people to do desktop publishing or TV
production(the only things an Apple Computer is really good for) I really
see no inherent reason or benefit of having them.  They can be easily
networked and made wireless(any usb wireless nic will work) and locked down
in a Windows environment but unless you have a multitude of patrons asking
for Apple products they would just be another thing that your staff would
have to learn and support that really isn't necessary.  There really is no
cost savings over PC's or thin clients and there are plenty of mac viruses
and spyware also so those arguments are not really valid.

Now if it were your AV or graphics department asking for one I wouldn't
hesitate.... I'll be waiting for all the flames from the 3 or 4 mac fanatics
in the world....till then I suggest you get a Dell. ; )
Regards,
Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger O. Young [ma
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 5:11 PM
To: oplintech@oplin.org
Subject: [OPLINTECH] MAC in Wndows environment

Does anyone have any thoughts on using a Macintosh in a Windows 2000 server
environment.  Someone on our public service staff had the idea that a
Macintosh might be something we should install for public use.  Can we
network it in our Windows 2000 environment, and keep it as locked down as
the other public PCs?
Can we go wireless with it on our network?

I am supposed to "review the technical aspects of installing a Mac in terms
of either a stand alone machine, a networked machine, or a wireless
standalone or networked machine..."

Anyone have any thoughts and/or experiences they would like to share on that
front, as well as on whether there is any great need and/or benefit for
doing so?

thanks.

Roger O. Young
I T Coordinator