[OPLINTECH] MAC in Wndows environment

Wes Osborn wosborn@clcohio.org
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:11:01 -0500

Hello,

Just a couple of thoughts tapped out from my desk using a 12"
powerbook.  First, wireless networking and networking in general are
quite easy - I've hooked up with just about every type of access point.
And they can communicate with a Windows File and Print Network quite
nicely as well.  Basically OS X has a nice GUI interface on top of a
customized version of Samba for connecting to Windows.

As far security, I would stick with something like MacSheild from
Centurion Technologies http://www.centuriontech.com/dsms-about.htm it
works much like their other products preventing users from making
permanent changes to the Hard Drive.

I personally appreciate using a Mac when I am at a remote location.  Its
just an environment that I feel more comfortable with, but it's a bit of
a personal thing.

I'm a "switcher" myself (after using Windows/Linux for 6+ years).  And
who knows you may really enjoy have a Mac around, they do have their
strong points - even past the normal audio/video/photo editing that they
are sometimes pigeonholed into.

Good Luck!

-Wes