[OPLINTECH] MAC in Wndows environment

Greg Syferd gsyferd@columbuslibrary.org
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:06:18 -0500

Guess I'll take the flip side as a devil's advocate (and both a Windows
and Mac user)

I think Mac's are a viable option for cheap internet boxes.  The Mac
mini is $499 plus keyboard/mouse/video which makes them more affordable.
 Even the base eMac is $800.  I do think Macs avoid many of the common
problems associated with spyware and viruses that hit Windows machines.
You also don't have to worry about locking down the umpteen hundred
services, holes, and patches that Windows machines have.  Of course, I
will add that these problems can be avoided with some due diligence in
Windows.

In a recent trip to Charlotte-Mecklinburg public library in Charlotte,
NC they have a tech lab of about 100 PCs of which at least 10-20 were
Macs.  When I was there the Macs were almost all filled with people
using the internet and Office products.  After talking with their
department head he told me that a lot of people preferred the Macs over
the PCs because they liked the interface and thought they were simpler
to use.

Wireless setup is a breeze in.  Not any different then setting it up on
Windows.  At home I have my Windows boxes and my Macs talking on the
same wireless network with no problems at all.

As for connecting them to an AD environment it is no problem as long as
you use OS X (which I assume you were) although I am not sure what you
are hoping to gain by hooking them up to an AD environment.  If you are
just looking to set up some share points and/or authentication it is
pretty simple.  Perhaps you could elaborate more on what you are looking
for in connecting them to  your AD.

As a die hard Mac fanatic (and there are more then 3 or 4 of us ;-) I'd
say use the best tool for the job.  Find out what your customers want
before making a move.  There is no compelling reason to immediately jump
to Macs, just as there is no reason I think to immediately jump onto
Linux workstations.  If you have customers who consistently ask for them
don't hesitate because you think they will be hard to setup/maintain.

One tip, if you do go with OS X make sure you upgrade to at least 512mb
of RAM.  The fact that Apple makes 256mb their standard config is a
joke, trust me you will be disappointed if you don't double it.

Now if you combined OS X with Novell eDirectory you could...ok won't go
there for now ;-)

Greg.

>>> "Mann, James H." <JMann@gcpl.lib.oh.us> 3/2/2005 8:28:44 AM >>>
I agree. What has killed me the last few years is the cost and the
need
to replicated all my software.
Networking a Mac is easy, but the question is why?
Westerville has a wonderful public Mac lab for digital projects...if
letting the public convert from tape to CD is what you're trying to
accomplish than a Mac is a good option.
IMHO

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator