[OPLINTECH] Filtering Software

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Wed Nov 16 14:57:54 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 12:44 -0500, Jan McCann wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> What internet filtering software are you using, and are you pleased with it?
> Was it difficult  to implement? All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thank You,
> Jan
>
> Jan McCann, Technical Services Coordinator
> Mary L. Cook Public Library
> 381 Old Stage Road
> Waynesville, OH  4506
> Email: mccannja at oplin.org

We use a 8e6 ( http://www.8e6.com ) R3000 content filter. We use
Comprise Technologies ( http://comprisetechnologies.com/ ) Smart Access
Manager to manage our public internet stations. SAM interfaces with the
8e6 R3000. We have different filtering levels based on a patrons age.
Basically under 18 can not change the filtering level and adults (over
18) can change their filtering level using the SAM interface on the
public computer. The Filter seems to work good. We have had some
problems to work out with SAM at different times most of which were when
we migrated from classic dynix to horizon, getting horizon and SAM to
talk to each other. The filter we bought through Comprise Technologies.
They set the filtering rules up and interfaced it with their product.

There is an opensource web content filter called Dans Gaurdian
( http://dansguardian.org/?page=whatisdg )

This is free for non commercial use. Non-Commercial Use: Includes home
users, installation and use by educational establishment employees, and
other non-profit making organisations such as charities, social clubs,
etc. ( http://dansguardian.org/?page=copyright2 )

--
Ed Liddle

Computer Technician