[OPLINTECH] Dell GX280's purchased through State Library early 2005

Jeff Franklin franklje@oplin.org
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:34:11 -0400

Greetings again,

Our library purchased three Dell GX280 computers through the State Library
early this year.  All three exhibited a very loud fan that would actually
vibrate the whole computer case at higher rpm's.  We contacted Dell.  They
sent us three replacement heatsink/fan units for the three computers, which
I installed successfully.

The new heatsink/fan units are quieter and no longer vibrate the computer
case.  However, anytime the processor is under heavy load, the fan does get
loud, although not nearly as loud as the original fans.  There doesn't seem
to be a CPU temperature sensor; so, I am guessing that these variable speed
fans observe cpu load and adjust the speed of the fan accordingly.

Have any of you that purchased these Dell's through the State Library also
experienced loud CPU fans that may also vibrate the entire case?  And if so,
what did you do about it?

Thank you,

Jeff Franklin
Norwalk Public Library

All opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not
necessarily reflect the opinions of the staff, management, or Board of
Trustees of the Norwalk Public Library.  All information in this e-mail is
provided AS IS without any form of guarantee or warranty.  Further, you
agree not to pursue any claims or legal action against the author, the
staff, management, and the Board of Trustees of the Norwalk Public Library
for any consequences as a result of applying or attempting to apply
information found in this e-mail."  This disclaimer shall be attached to all
e-mails.