[OPLINTECH] Patrons and Flat Panel screens

James Guilford James.Guilford at westlakelibrary.org
Mon Aug 28 10:47:51 EDT 2006

All but about six out of about 60 of our displays are flat panels and
have been for about five years. We ask folks not to touch them but
patrons and staff still do. I don't know why folks feel the need to
touch screens --maybe it's our long heritage of paper-- but they do.
While touching leaves unsightly smudges on the LCD panels, I have seen
no problems that I can blame on finger touches. We've even had a few
instances where unruly kids have made pen or pencil marks on the
screens! No permanent harm.

So, ask 'em not to touch, but don't worry too much if/when they do.

-- J. Guilford