[OPLINTECH] Phantom gateway:

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Wed Dec 6 10:28:55 EST 2006

Hi All,
   I have run across a little problem that I thought I'd run past you all
(it maybe something that others will see or maybe not).

 A little background is necessary.

  a.. We have a 5 subnet network
  b.. The branches all use static IP address (no problems here)
  c.. The main gets the IP addresses from a DHCP server (ad domain server)
  d.. Network is a mix of NT4, W2k, & XP Pro (a few Linux test boxes tossed
in as well but they are not affected)
Over the last week I have had people come to me to say that a specific pc
does not have internet access.
When I run ipconfig/all on the specific pc, the gateway is incorrect.
Running ipconfig/flushdns, then ipconfig/renew
cures the problem. The DHCP server has the correct information listed in
both server and scope properties (running ipconfig/renew
wouldn't fix the problem if dhcp was incorrect anyway). Now for the
kicker.... ONLY the XP boxes are doing it (and not all of them).
I have a mix of IE 6 & 7 on the pcs so that "shouldn't" be a cause (haven't
installed IE7 in the lab yet as I have some W2k boxes in there,
 and I'm trying to keep them all "looking" the same).

Has anyone run into or heard of this before?
Quite interesting isn't it?   Nothing like a good enigma to exercise the
grey matter!   :o)

Dan Will
Technology Supervisor
Meigs County District Public Library
willda at oplin.org
740.992.5813
740.992.6140 (fax)

The difference between fiction and reality?
Fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy