[OPLINTECH] Games in the library

Travis McAfee mcafeetr at wcnet.org
Wed Feb 15 13:21:47 EST 2006

I'd like to hear what other libraries are doing with this.

Like most libraries, mine sees a fair share of Runescape, online cards,
miscelaneous flash gaming sites, etc.  We actually encourage new computer
users to play around with solitaire because it helps people learn the mouse.
We've recently been investigating a way to give Teens access to gaming
computers / console games.  We've been stuck in deliberation for a while now
because the concerns we have continue to weigh down any practical solution.

Our goal is to have 2 off-network PCs, secured by DeepFreeze, running a few
games in our Teens space.  It's getting harder and harder to find games that
have any sort of educational value (or even a low amount of violent content)
for the PC in general.  Considering that our target audience is teen, our
options feel even more limited. The Tycoon series (Railroad Tycoon, Roller
Coaster Tycoon) seem like a safe bet...  But even being a gamer myself I
tend to draw a blank past that.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Travis McAfee
Technology Coordinator, NORWELD
mcafeetr at wcnet.org
419.352.2903