[OPLINTECH] Games in the library

Marcy Kaiser kaiserma at oplin.org
Wed Feb 15 14:14:12 EST 2006

We have 7 workstations set aside for games and no Internet.  There are 4 in
the Children's area with different aged games on them and 3 in the Teen
area.  The ones in the teen area also have Microsoft Office and Mavis
Beacon.  The are secured by the network and Deep Freeze.  For most of the
games you need the cd to play them, we hold their library card while they
have the cd.  A few of the games I have gotten to run without the need of a
cd.

Some of the titles in the Teen area are the Tycoon ones, a 303 games
explosion with all kinds of games, Sudoku Challenge, some Harry Potter ones,
Jewel Quest, a construction one that's like the tycoon ones,  Coffee House
Chaos, and Collapse Crunch.  I also have shortcuts to all the standard games
that come on the PC.  We have bought some that have permission issues and
will not work correctly.  Every year of so the Children and Teen Librarians
and myself just go shopping at our local Best Buy and see what looks like
fun.  The kids love the computers, and like the change of the games every so
often.

In the computer room (on the Internet) they are allowed to play games as
long as they will work on our PCs.  I don't download plugins for specific
games and the patrons can't.  We also encourage new PC users to practice
using a mouse in solitaire.  And as far as staff games I'd love to set and
play spider solitaire all day myself, but I think the patrons and director
would frown on that.

Marcy Kaiser
Technology Coordinator
kaiserma at oplin.org