[OPLINTECH] Games in the library - console comment

Chip Kruthoffer c.kruthoffer at lanepl.org
Wed Feb 15 14:23:05 EST 2006

Jim,

We circulate a bunch of Windows CD-ROM games, but don't have anything
installed on our public PCs.

What I'M interested in, as are a few of my co-workers, is circulating Sony
PS2/PS3 or MSFT XBox/Xbox360 discs. We do not do this at this time, but the
demand is there. Circulating console games would be much more popular than
circulating PC CD-ROM games, and I think it would present fewer challenges and
meet a greater need. Is that what you were getting at? Probably a dumb
question, but does anyone out there circ the console products?

Madden 2005 for the PC, for example, will sometimes sit on the shelf for
weeks. I don't think the PS2 or XBox versions would ever come off the reserve
list.

The argument is that you don't want to have to buy for different hardware
platforms, but I think you can make a strong case for narrowing it down to
XBox and PS due to the size of the installed base.

Chip Kruthoffer
Lane Public Library