[OPLINTECH] Floppy disk problems

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Thu Jul 27 14:16:33 EDT 2006

This may shed some light on why some floppy disks work and some don't
seem to work with windows XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309623

"Some 3mode FD drivers may be installed on PCs with Windows XP by OEMs,
although Microsoft does not provide the end-user support for 3mode
drivers. Please contact your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) if
you have any questions on 3mode drivers."

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics/browse_thread/thread/20c270c1e99f11c/d9d55e04ec64e5ef?lnk=st&q=floppy+disk+reading+xp+pro&rnum=9&hl=en#d9d55e04ec64e5ef

Link I found on google groups about floppy drive problems and windows
xp
This worked out for me.

http://downloads.viaarena.com/WinXPE/Oct02/XPe_3mflp132_v10.zip

And here are the steps necessary to install it (make sure there isn't a
floppydisk in the drive!):

1.   Download driver.
2.   Unzip the driver.
3.   Open Windows XP's Device Manager.
4.   Expand the "Floppy disk controllers" heading.
5.   Double-click the listing for "Standard floppy disk controller".
6.   Click the "Driver" tab and click the "Update Driver" button.
7.   Select the "Install from a list or specific location" button.
8.   Click the "Next" button.
9.   Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."
10.  Click the "Next" button.
11.  Click the "Have Disk" button and then the "Browse" button.
12.  Browse to where you extracted the files.
13.  Double click the"VIA3MFPY.INF" file.  Then, click the "OK" button.
14.  "VIA 3-mode floppy controller" is now highlighted in the drivers
list.
15.  Click the "Next" button to begin the driver files copy.  Click
Finish.
16.  Expand the "Floppy disk drives" heading, and repeat the above
steps.
17.  Once the driver is updated for your floppy drive, reboot your
machine.
18.  Now you can read floppies created with earlier versions of
Windows!!!

Hope this helps

--
Ed Liddle