[OPLINTECH] Floppy disk problems

Avery Shifflett shifflav at oplin.org
Thu Jul 27 13:39:01 EDT 2006

Dan,

It may sound odd, but I believe the floppy disk problem exists on purpose.
 I really think floppy disks/drives are being designed flawed in order to
aid the phase-out process.

I used to be able to carry a floppy disk in my pocket, throw it around,
and use it on any computer...no matter how dirty or old the drive was and
had no problem at all.  I still have floppy disks off in a corner that I
obtained back in the early 90's.  They *all* still work on any computer
and in any floppy drive.  But, I'm lucky to get a couple disks in a brand
new box of floppies, no matter what brand, to work at all.  Coincidence?
I don't think so.

In conclusion, I think we need to go with the tide in this instance and
start recommending that patrons and staff alike get something like a flash
drive.  They can be obtained for $5-10 (128MB) and are much more durable
and hold a lot more.

---Avery Shifflett
Technology Coordinator
Carroll Co. Dist. Library