[OPLINTECH] Floppy disk problems

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Jul 27 12:33:58 EDT 2006

Dan,

This may or may not be related to your problem, but it could be worth
keeping in mind when dealing with floppies:

Years ago I had it explained to me that floppy drives are "tuned" to a
specific ideal point with a certain tolerance level. Think of it as a
range between 1 and 10, with 5 being the goal. When a drive is properly
tuned to within that tolerance level, the a disk written to is then
generally readable by other properly-tuned drives. The fun stuff begins
when you have a floppy drive that for whatever reason (age-related
failure, bad from the manufacturer, etc.) has drifted to the outer
limits of the tolerance range or beyond. Let's say the drive started out
within tolerance (we'll pick 7 or 8), but has drifted to say 11 or 12.
The drive would still be able to successfully read and write disks /on
that drive/, however /other/ drives may have problems reading the disks.
Not necessarily /all/ other drives might have problems however. A drive
tuned to the higher end of the tolerance range (maybe 8, 9, or 10 in our
example) might still be able to read a disk written on the "bad" drive,
but other drives tuned to the lower end of the tolerance range (maybe 1,
2, or 3) might not be able to read the same disk.

It's possibly that you've replaced the bad drive, but still have some
disks that were written on the bad drive. The disks may work on some of
your remaining drives, but not others.

Just a thought.

Chad

Ps.  Then again...it could be a virus!  :-)

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --