[OPLINTECH] Wireless service to our patrons with our OPLIN service?

Denise Shedloski dshedloski at npls.org
Mon Mar 27 16:09:15 EST 2006

Dear tech support;

We are looking at offering wireless internet access to our patrons in the library. Currently, we have 2 OPLIN stations that are hard-wired and are assigned IP addresses 66.213.110.32 - 66.213.110.63.  Could you please let me know if I'm heading in the right direction, and if not, how to do this?

1.
	Can we use the existing OPLIN router to offer wireless service to our patrons?
2.
	Do we need to purchase wireless cards for our current stations and change our router to a specifically wireless type router; or will we be able to continue to use our current hardwiring with a second, wireless router plugged into the original one?
3.
	If we can use our existing router or if we purchase another "wireless" router, does either router get turned off with our power daily?;
4.
	How far will the router reach outside our building?;
5.
	Since we'd be using specific IP addresses as assigned by OPLIN, will our patrons have to have some sort of key or special login to access the internet once they're within range?

Any advice you might provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Denise Shedloski
Director
Alexandria Public Library
10 Maple Drive