[OPLINTECH] Dell motherboard issues

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon May 15 10:35:32 EDT 2006

This problem has been around for quite a while and has an interesting
history. I suspect that most of the bad capacitors in daily use for more
than nine months have failed by now, but I still occasionally run into a
few that have lived longer than the others. This problem isn't limited
to Dells. In my case, I've had a number of Acer computers fail. The
faulty capacitors could be in any electronic device, however and is not
limited to computers.

Wikipedia.org has a good overview of the problem, although I feel it's a
little lacking on the actual history/source of the problem (the espionage).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --