[OPLINTECH] A very strong reason to use Library databases instead of Search engines; Google Notebook

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahoga.lib.oh.us
Mon May 15 14:02:02 EDT 2006

McAfee recently released a report on the safety of Internet search
engines:

The Safety of Search Engines
http://www.siteadvisor.com/studies/search_safety_may2006.html

Scary thought..

On the five most popular sites -- Google, Yahoo, MSN, AOL and Ask -- 72
percent of results for searches such as "free screensavers," "digital
music," "popular software" and "singers" were risky, the company said.

Reading the results picking choices in the top few returned results does
not make it any safer.

Google is great but best stick to the ever safe subscription databases
for information where at all possible, I guess.

In other news Google is slated to release something called Google
notebook(sort of like the one with ebscohost) (which is a good thing)
sometime this week rumor has it:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/yes-we-are-still-all-about-search
.html

Google Notebook is a personal browser tool that lets you clip text,
images, and links from the pages you're searching, save clippings to an
online notebook, and then share notebooks with others.

This would be an awesome tool for our patrons!

Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library