[OPLINTECH] USB cable dock

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahogalibrary.org
Sun Oct 29 19:38:53 EST 2006

Yep I saw it.  One such drive that wont fit is the Lexar drive http://www.lexar.com/jumpdrive/jd.html   There are several others.

Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library

________________________________

From: oplintech-bounces at oplin.org [mailto:oplintech-bounces at oplin.org] On Behalf Of Chad Neeper
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 6:00 PM
To: OPLIN Tech List
Subject: Re: [OPLINTECH] USB cable dock

Jim,

Did you look at the link for the USB dock? There should be a picture of the dock. I can't envision any USB device I've seen that wouldn't work with it...

Do you have a link to a picture of the devices you used? I certainly don't want to re-invent the wheel. If you tried something and found that it doesn't work very well, I'd rather not repeat the experience!

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --

JKENZIG wrote:

	The problem with purchasing this type of device is that MANY of the USB key types have larger openings than what will fit into them.  We bought 500 similar devices and ended up removing them because several key types did not work. You are much better off just purchasing (and it is less expensive) a simple male to female USB cable and tying it down to the the table so that users can just pick up the end and plug their device in to that.

	By the way I just got back from Citrix Iforum in Florida and there were a few companies doing some really cool things with usb keys.  One of them Thinstall, if you are using Citrix has a free virtual Citrix ICA client that will run on a USB key.  http://www.thinstall.com/solutions/usb_apps.php
	Thee was also a company called EPA Factory that had something called the access stick that not only let you take over any machine, connect to your Citrix servers with the ICA client, but save IE favorites and files on the stick within the environment and for extra measure it encrypts everything on the usb stick so it can only be read from your Citrix session. It was around $68 retail but if they  come down to around 20-25 dollar range it will be a very interesting device.  http://www.epafactory.com/Default.aspx?tabid=132